VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
There we go!! Thank you for posting these pics! So it looks like some of the passages are welded. It also looks like a significant amount of material is added to the outside dimension of the head on the intake side. After I'm guessing the surface needs to be decked. Clearly this is all performed on a fully disassembled head.

Again, great info, thanks!! The head in the pic looks like those may not be stock valves? The exhaust ports (what can be seen) look ported and polished as well. Nice looking piece! All of which most likely should be done to help the 3.2 head breath for the 3.6.

I wish I would have explored this path before dumping a ton of $$ into my existing head. :p - +1mm in/out valves, PP, ceramic coated combustion chambers, valve faces, exhaust valve skirts and runners, WPC treated valve stems and cams. It could still be done on this head, but the cambers would need recoating which means valve seats cleaned up after.

I do have another 3.2 head here. Maybe I can start all over again. :p:screwy:

Hell, it's only $$. :thumb up: And considering how much I've dumped into suspension this year already, this may just get lost in the noise. :face palm:

BTW, who did this work?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Seems like it would be easier to plug the injector ports in the head, modify the intake manifold for port fuel injection, and get some custom pistons and a custom ECU tune made up.
I had a custom intake manifold made, left the injectors in the head and am running standalone. Problem with the custom tune is that the 3.6 exhaust cam and adjuster is like the mk5 r32 with different vvt range. You may be able to use a mk4 cam and gear but I haven't tried. Otherwise it could be made to work.
This is somewhat of the approach I was going with the exception I was going to try to run the FSI and a secondary injection system as well. For the amount amount of work that's needed to fit a 3.2 head it seems to me that those cycles could be spent better elsewhere. If fsi/secondary fueling doesn't pan out I was curious if something could be done with the mk4 cam setup.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Looks great! ..and I agree. It's more than just a little machining. Welding and machining. But since I already have a metric ass-ton of money into my 3.2 head, I'll stick with the 3.2 top and bottom while it holds up.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I did "3.6 fsi head on 3.2 block" over 2 years ago. This is not rocket science. You does not need big name company to do that. It bolts right on. The only issue are some extra holes to deal with.
Now I'm working on R30 with 3.6 head. The big advantage of the head is the port size ... it flows way better than 3.2

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I did "3.6 fsi head on 3.2 block" over 2 years ago. This is not rocket science. You does not need big name company to do that. It bolts right on. The only issue are some extra holes to deal with.
Now I'm working on R30 with 3.6 head. The big advantage of the head is the port size ... it flows way better than 3.2
Back from the dead.. Please post an update!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts