VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently working on a 05 a6 3.2fsi came in running rough check engine light on, customer had driven car for 8k miles like this. Anyway long story short, one of the cam chain guides on the 1-2-3 passenger bank broke, valves bent.
Currently tools are on the way for proper TDC setting of cams and crank. Pulled the engine today, didn't take long. I will post pictures of the job as I go. Pretty sure its cheaper to buy a used engine BKH code.
.2L,AT,71K,1U 71,791 B L0160 $3500 used

·
Registered
10,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: 3.2 Timing chains =) (Slimjimmn)

common oil leaks:

Really doesnt take alot of tools to remove the engine really...

Modified by Slimjimmn at 4:28 PM 5-1-2010

·
Registered
10,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: FV-QR (Tanner74)

75,000 miles http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
One reason why you NEVER GO more than 5k miles on an oil change with synthetic oil. it doesnt last, dont care what brand oil you use or filter. Customer has oil change reciepts from PO with 10k oil changes at the dealer.

·
Registered
10,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
more pics, its scary looking at the timing chain setup eek! Luckily I only need to replace the passenger head and chain and tensioner.

you can see where the valves hit the piston tops
the valves are barely bent, they dont close all the way flush with the head seats

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
should the chains be changed at 75k or should they last the life of the car?

·
Registered
11 Posts
"One reason why you NEVER GO more than 5k miles on an oil change with synthetic oil. it doesnt last, dont care what brand oil you use or filter. Customer has oil change reciepts from PO with 10k oil changes at the dealer."

So.....you think changing oil more frequently would have prevented this...................? I don't think so!

·
Registered
10,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pretty sure when you drive 10,000 or 12000 miles the car has lost 25% of its oil, or approx 2 qts on this car. running 2qts low will cause low oil pressure, also dirty oil will cause additional wear to the plastic guides for the chains, this one had a broken plastic guide.
Chains SHOULD last the life of the engine with the new technology of composite plastic parts.

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
75,000 miles http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
One reason why you NEVER GO more than 5k miles on an oil change with synthetic oil. it doesnt last, dont care what brand oil you use or filter. Customer has oil change reciepts from PO with 10k oil changes at the dealer.
Always change at 5k the latest with synthetic

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
What a mess! Wondering if it is cheaper and less time to swap a motor than rebuild the heads and replace the chains. A used motor starts at $3600!

Keep the picture coming!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I saved quite a few of these pictures to my phone. It's pretty interesting to see what my 3.2L looks like out of the engine bay. I wasn't expecting it to look like that. Thanks for the pictures!

I almost find it sad though that a full engine replacement is cheaper than a chain replacement.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I saved quite a few of these pictures to my phone. It's pretty interesting to see what my 3.2L looks like out of the engine bay. I wasn't expecting it to look like that. Thanks for the pictures!

I almost find it sad though that a full engine replacement is cheaper than a chain replacement.

Not so much the chains but the replacement of all the bent valves, re-machining the heads, head gaksets, head bolts. An easy 30 hr job vs just swapping a motor and you need $500 of specialized tools.

I haven't pulled my 3.2 yet, instead I'm halfheartedly looking for a replacement engine.

Stupid Audi, tell me again about the "truth in engineering"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts