VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stuck

Hey now Dave here I had the timing chain pop on this 3,2 audi I pulled the head and replaced the bent valves .Now my problem is I cant seem to get the timing correct the cam locking tools are on but I can not get the crank in correct spot .It hits the valves on the passangers side I am told # 1 is passanger side front This Is not working I don't have the crank locking tool ,but cant get it tdc on #1 any one PLEASE HELP ME

·
Registered
174 Posts
TDC is not #1

Hi,
The crank positioning pin will reference the crank at 3:00 position with the hole in the pulley and the notch on the pulley with the upper oil pan seam with the block. With that in place, you will see TDC on number 2 cylinder. (middle cylinder on the passenger side). To ease your mind a bit, look at the cams with the lock installed. Only number 2 will have the lobes facing away from the valves. If memory serves, the intake valve is wide open on #1 with the piston almost all the way down. Strange but true. I completed the job and the motor ran perfectly. See the last page of the following post on another site for some other tips. I am getting ready to do a complete DIY for the job. I have to do the drivers side on my engine now as the drivers side tensioner failed shortly after doing the job on the passenger side.

http://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...er-timing-chain-tensioner-replacement-2861500

PM me if you need any other info. Good luck.
Carl

·
Registered
16,868 Posts
Hi,
The crank positioning pin will reference the crank at 3:00 position with the hole in the pulley and the notch on the pulley with the upper oil pan seam with the block. With that in place, you will see TDC on number 2 cylinder. (middle cylinder on the passenger side). To ease your mind a bit, look at the cams with the lock installed. Only number 2 will have the lobes facing away from the valves. If memory serves, the intake valve is wide open on #1 with the piston almost all the way down. Strange but true. I completed the job and the motor ran perfectly. See the last page of the following post on another site for some other tips. I am getting ready to do a complete DIY for the job. I have to do the drivers side on my engine now as the drivers side tensioner failed shortly after doing the job on the passenger side.

http://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...er-timing-chain-tensioner-replacement-2861500

PM me if you need any other info. Good luck.
Carl
Hey Carl,
Thanks for the post. We appreciate the effort in here. Can I send you an Audi Accessories car cover? Check your PM.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most important info.

The tip by Cnyman is indeed a difficult to find, yet very important point for timing these things. Even the Bentley simply refers to "TDC." Thank you.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts