VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody knows where to buy:
3.5mm jack to CD changer in glove box adapter?
or bluetooth to CD changer in glove box adapter?
The idea is to buy TomTom 910 GPS and use it as an MP3 player and GPS as well. In my understanding TomTom 910 GPS can stream MP3 through a bluetooth and also has 3.5mm connector for audio output.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Re: 3.5mm jack to CD changer in glove box adapter for passat 2006 (diletant)

Quote, originally posted by diletant »
Anybody knows where to buy:
3.5mm jack to CD changer in glove box adapter?
or bluetooth to CD changer in glove box adapter?
The idea is to buy TomTom 910 GPS and use it as an MP3 player and GPS as well. In my understanding TomTom 910 GPS can stream MP3 through a bluetooth and also has 3.5mm connector for audio output.

I would try http://www.enfig.com These guys have all kind of cables.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Re: 3.5mm jack to CD changer in glove box adapter for passat 2006 (tascon)

I have a PalmOne Life Drive PDA with 4 gig harddrive, SD reader and TomTom software, with Bluetooth wireless GPS hardwired behind the dash to the Aux jack. Check out the pic.
Does everything!! Sorry not the best of pics.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Re: 3.5mm jack to CD changer in glove box adapter for passat 2006 (yawbnice)

Quote, originally posted by yawbnice »
I have a PalmOne Life Drive PDA with 4 gig harddrive, SD reader and TomTom software, with Bluetooth wireless GPS hardwired behind the dash to the Aux jack. Check out the pic.
Does everything!! Sorry not the best of pics.[/img]

That looks like a sweet set up. I plan to wire up my Treo in a similar way. Can you provide a few more details and more pictures, perhaps a side shot showing where the wiring dives into the dash? Did you do the installation yourself, or have someone else do it? Who? What button do you push on the radio to conenct your Palm?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

yawbnice,
Nice setup, but you have passat 2007 while I have 2006. I do not have aux in and thus my first problem how to make it. Can you post some more details/picture?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Re: 3.5mm jack to CD changer in glove box adapter for passat 2006 (diletant)

I'll post some pics soon. The doors of the slide trays come off easily. Open the tray and lift the door skin while keeping the tray still, to unsnap. This allows for some clearance around the opening for wiring to run inside. (To run the wiring, I removed the radio surround and radio to have room to snake cables as needed. This was a BEAR!!) The tray still comes in and out. I drilled two holes in the bottom of the left tray to connect an aluminum plate I made to support the PDA holder. Since the door of the tray is removed, there is clearance for the plate and doesn't rub the radio surround. There is some excess cable in the tray in case I need to pull it out some. It fits tight and doesn't vibrate when on the road. It is aimed upward some to keep reflections down.
I have the power connector (bottom) run to the left fuse box and is ignition switched for charging. This original power cable has two wires, the other goes to the Bluetooth GPS antenna that sits in the tray to the left of the steering wheel. The power cable runs in here and I charge the GPS antenna when the battery gets low. Just for your info, the GPS antenne fits nicely in the trays around the hazard switch. You could actually keep the antenna in there and pull the tray out to see the sky when in use.
The Output cable (top) runs behind the dash over to the glove box and plugs into the aux jack. This stays plugged in all the time. The GPS and mp3's play through the radio by pushing the CD button twice, one goes to CD, twice goes to Aux.
I don't know how to add an Aux jack with an 06. I'm sure it's been covered.
Let me know if more Q's.

·
Registered
153 Posts

OK, I have time to post them now. Sorry I blurred the MP3 picture. It even has different skins, this one looks like the WMP 11 with the sound jumping. Looks way cool at night. Go to Pockettunes.com to check it out. I have the deluxe version.

No, I don't play solitair when driving....too often!

Modified by yawbnice at 1:30 PM 11-2-2006

·
Registered
36 Posts

yawbnice, thanks for posting the details and the pics. That is a very inventive use of available space and compartments!!! And you said earlier that you keep the drawer closed, so the look is pretty clean and only a bit of the wires show, right? cool!

·
Registered
2020 Audi A5 Sportback
3,223 Posts
Re: 3.5mm jack to CD changer in glove box adapter for passat 2006 (wolfpup)

yawbnice that looks nice, I have the life drive with tom tom too but only used it in my audi as I have Nav in the passat, Quick question, how did you get a skin for your P tunes on the life drive?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Re: 3.5mm jack to CD changer in glove box adapter for passat 2006 (SpoolinFSI)

I upgraded to the Deluxe version of Pocket Tunes so I have an EQ and various other options. I went to PocketTunes.com and downloaded the skins, they are free, there are many to choose from, most are sized to fit Treo and not LifeDrive so don't fill up the whole screen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts