VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
2007 B6 Passat VR6 4Motion sedan
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a lovely 2007 Passat sedan with the punchy, peppy, perfect 3.6 litre VR6 and 4Motion all wheel drive. How much can I expect to pay for a timing chain tensioner service? How will I know it's time for a service? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Registered
The labor and parts will be $3k-$4k

A low mile engine is $1k

The value of the car is only $2k-$5k

The timing can be check and there is a thread in this group for those details do a quick search. In all honesty you should just consider driving it as long as you can and then buy a newer vehicle when the chains/guides cause major problems. That could be anywhere from 100k miles to over 300k miles

Registered
That said there have been a lot of years where it didn鈥檛 make sense to pour more money into my favorite car. I have and I continue to do that with my corrado and CC. If you enjoy it who cares.

My CC is just a sportier looking B6 with the same exact 3.6 and craptastic auto 4motion. It鈥檚 a great daily other than the headliner which I need to replace. I just put a couple days of work into replacing the suspension and plan to do more work on it. There aren鈥檛 many naturally aspirated cars that are reliable and as fun.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That said there have been a lot of years where it didn鈥檛 make sense to pour more money into my favorite car. I have and I continue to do that with my corrado and CC. If you enjoy it who cares.

My CC is just a sportier looking B6 with the same exact 3.6 and craptastic auto 4motion. It鈥檚 a great daily other than the headliner which I need to replace. I just put a couple days of work into replacing the suspension and plan to do more work on it. There aren鈥檛 many naturally aspirated cars that are reliable and as fun.
The sounds it can conjure up are intoxicating. My wife awhile back told me she doesn't know how I can make it sing the way it does. I told her it's all in the right foot baby.

Registered
The sounds it can conjure up are intoxicating. My wife awhile back told me she doesn't know how I can make it sing the way it does. I told her it's all in the right foot baby.
Oh I know, trust me I know. Here is a short video of two Corrados, I鈥檒l let you guess which one is mine with a 3.6:

http://instagr.am/p/CNv26bbHxHG/

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Registered
One more question, is it cheaper/easier to do just the guides/tensioners preemptively? Through a shop mind you.
Not really cheaper unless your chains go out so quickly you end up bending valves. Normally chains will give off noises and that鈥檚 when you check with vagcom for timing in block 208-209. Enjoy the car for what it is and change your oil every 5k miles or so if you are worried.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not really cheaper unless your chains go out so quickly you end up bending valves. Normally chains will give off noises and that鈥檚 when you check with vagcom for timing in block 208-209. Enjoy the car for what it is and change your oil every 5k miles or so if you are worried.
I've changed it every 5k religiously, not too worried about it, just has some sentimental value.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.