VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm hoping I might be able to get some wisdom regarding yet another issue that my beloved 3.6 CC. The night before I posted this I started my it as normal but when it started it was extremely rough, it would jump up and down in revs and it would have what I would describe as 'dead zones' in ignition when I revved it. This is also accompanied by the usual chain noise that I would get on a cold start but this time it wouldn't go. Also a very strong smell of fuel that it didn't have before, with no fuel leaks that I can see.

My initial thoughts is it may be ignition as the plastic connector on the cylinder 2 plug was cracked and damaged when attempting to remove it a while back. They're also the original coils as far as I know. However, because of the previously mentioned chain noise, my mind keeps going to timing chain related which could possibly mean bent valves and damaged cylinders due to jumped timing.

Registered
Is the CEL on? If so, is it steady state or flashing (or, even steady for a bit and then flashing)? Whatever the case, and IMO, you'd be best served by starting with a scan here. Rough idle can be caused by a lot of things...it's better to have a destination before starting on this journey. Let us know the results then.

I had this issue twice and thought, both times, that it was a coil pack. First time it ended up being the HPFP. Second time ended up being a valve spring. Point being, I was wrong both times and still have two new coils on the bench for when they do fail. That only cost me $40 to learn...it can get much, much worse.馃榿

You mentioned chain noise...how many miles are on yours? I'm at 128K on mine. You can have your shop check measuring blocks to see how much the ECM is compensating for stretch to get an idea of where you're at on that.馃嵒

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The CEL did come on and it was flashing. The flashing stopped after about a minute or so but the condition of the engine didn't change. I did a bit of searching about what the flashing could specifically mean for VW cars and apparently it could mean severe misfiring which could be allowing fuel to be dumped into the exhaust.

It also might be worth saying that I didn't give it enough time to come up to temp. I was too freaked out by what happened so it was only on for less than 5 minutes. Also also, there was a distinct smell of raw petrol coming from the exhaust but no leaks as far as I could see.

When I get home after work tonight I'll plug my computer in and see what's going on. From my playing around with the features it should be able to tell me if a specific cylinder or coil is having issues.

You mention the HPFP which might be an issue. About 3 weeks ago I had to replace both high and low fuel sensors. I hope it's not, one of those will set me back nearly $1k here in aus.

It has just over 141k KMs on the clock. I'm not too sure what the conversion for miles is there and I'm too lazy to Google it. I was planning on taking it in to my mechanic regardless of if I can fix this myself or not. Best to get a general idea of the health if the car so I can potentially prepare for the next thing.

Registered
When my HPFP went the CEL and EPC were flashing, the car would not rev past 2K rpms and felt like a misfire...if some of those things don't apply to your scenario, you might be in luck!

The valve spring was the check engine light by itself. Replacing/moving coils and plugs made no difference. Got it towed and the mechanic diagnosed. Good news being that they were able to replace the spring with the motor in but you still gotta get DEEP in there...not a cheap excursion. Cost about $1200 for that so I feel your pain. If it does happen to be the valve spring maybe we can start the worst club ever. 馃嵒

A kilometer is .62 miles, or 62%. So you're only at 87K...unless redline is your preferred shift point for EVERY gear, chain stretch shouldn't be an issue yet.(y)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay well I was able to rev past 2k and only the engine light was flashing. Not solid light or EPC light. maybe I did dodge a bullet...

I had the same issues you described with the fuel sensors went. I was preparing for a HPFP in case the sensors didn't fix my issue but it did. At least until this happened.

I'm still going to get it booked in for a health check regardless but I'm going to order some coils from my local auto parts store and I've ordered a coil pulling tool from ebay.

I don't peg it at the red line but I do rev it to like 5k in manual shift mode when I want to have some fun.

I am the third owner of this car and literally everything on it was original when I bought it. It even had the factory battery that had a date code from 2011. From that I can tell it has had a very easy life so if it turns out a coil does fix it, it could be that known wear items are just starting to let go. From what I found apparently those fuel sensors are fairly common items too.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I scanned it and it's giving my 7 errors. Amongst them is a severe misfire on cylinders 4 and 6. Also with them is a low fuel rail pressure which worrying cause I replaced both fuel pressure sensors a month ago so it's not likely to be them again. Unless it's connected cause the computer is reducing pressure to protect the engine from the misfires, I might be in for a HPFP too. I've ordered 2 coils and a set of plugs and I'll go from there. Here's hoping that fixes it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts