VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
3.6 swap - coming together slowly

Decided it's time to start a thread on my impending project. Hope it's as fun for you as it is for me! I've had a 3.6 motor sitting in the back of TST for going on 2 years now, finally starting to get ready for them to do the swap now that I've found a car worthy of it.

I had played with the idea of putting it in my MKII GTi that already has a VR6 swap, but decided I liked the car the way it is. Then considered putting it in my QSW, it would unstoppable with the power and Syncro with locking diffs. I think I'll still put a VR6 in it, but not the big motor.

The swap recipient:
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

1st parts teaser picture ;):
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
403 Posts
Woo, subscribed. That's the Fabless crossmember yes? I'm curious to see how everything goes with that piece of kit.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NICE :heart:

keep us updated

a friend and me are in the same project soon
Will do!

I just noticed you are in California, are you hoping to get it to pass the carb referee?
Plans are afoot ;)

Woo, subscribed. That's the Fabless crossmember yes? I'm curious to see how everything goes with that piece of kit.
Yes, really nice piece, we'll see how it works when the time comes.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was able to get my Corrado switched to diesel fairly easily in California (back around 2013) and this makes you emissions exempt for the worst case scenario this might be an option.
I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Another box arrived

After sitting on it's shipping crate for 3 years, the motor was put on a stand finally.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Made some progress today. Getting ready to do the chain service, intermediate shaft gear bolt, put some cams in and clean the intake valves. Also a general cleanup of the exterior covers etc. It should clean up nice though.
It's out of an east coast car, so it looks a little rough on the outside, but it looks like they did regular oil changes thankfully.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had plans to put the LED bulbs in the silver car and go onto cleaning the intake valves on the 3.6. Unfortunately I had an issue opening the hood, the time it took to track down the issue and install the bulbs, it only left me time to do something truly frivolous.

Removed and media blasted the exhaust manifolds

Then painted them with some a high temp cast iron rattle can

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The motor is together again, cleaned, updated/upgraded parts with just a few things to button up. Found some issues that were addressed, and with about 4hrs on intake valve cleaning alone, this motor should be good to go.

Some before and after pics:

The transmission was sent out for a complete rebuild and Wavetrac installation today, juiced about that.

Also the oil pan will be coming off for an internal clean and exterior media blasting today.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Transmission came back rebuilt and with a Wavetrac differential installed

Plug and play wiring harness Corrado -> 3.6 VR6

Transmission and Fabless mounts installed

Fabless fan & shroud kit ready to install

Have a 850Fabrication downpipe on order, 4-6 weeks until delivery :(

·
Registered
98 Posts
I know how much of a monster this state is about emissions... I'd really like to know how you're pulling this off if not re-registering the car as a special/custom build? That has to be a super fun car to drive with that motor in there though. I'm always jealous seeing G60ING's pictures of his.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Progress looks good, for the fans I think the fitment would be better if you rotate the shroud so the big fan is on the passenger side.

I actually want to get a aground of similar sizing with a small fan mounted low on passenger side of the radiator.
Thanks, we'll look at that closely when it comes time for the install.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts