VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick (okay it's a little long) story to see if anyone can relate to what's going on with my 2006 3.6.

Looking forward to a Friday drive home I'm greeted by a rough idle at a red light a mile from work and the oil pressure light flashing on the MFD. Pulled over, shut down and called VW roadside assistance (CPO warranty is coming in handy) and got a tow to the local VW dealership here in Tulsa.

Being the weekend they couldn't work on it right away but they did pull it in on Saturday and tell me the timing is off (sounds like a diesel truck) and they need to do an oil pressure check. Fine by me I have a spare car, have at it while it's under warranty.

Monday rolls around and they are talking about taking the head off, again go for it.

Tuesday I stop by and chat with the rep and the tech working the car, nice experience all around (again couldn't be happier to have the extend warranty right now). They didn't take the head off after borescoping to check the pistons for damage from the valves. They found the aft cam out of time and VWOA told them to replace the upper chain, guide/tensioner and timing gear set assuming something failed and the chain stretched. Okay, well what about the oil pump bolt? Well they hadn't heard of that issue but if these parts didn't fix the problem they'd ask VWOA what to do next and let me know.

Thursday and parts were supposed to be in this morning so I'm just waiting for the call to get the latest update.

So has anyone else heard of this happening with the 3.6? I couldn't find anything on the forums, all my searches take me to the oil pump bolt.

They also are going to do an AC tech bulletin and the bass flare tech bulletin while it's in, the tech and I sat down and went through the tech bulletins when I asked about one for the bolt and found these to do for me which was really nice.

So after all that goodness towards the dealership... what do you guys think of approx $600 for a 40K maintenance visit? And a nice $138 price quote for just parts to replace the spark plugs? (I know 1st vw and keffer sell them around $14 ea (before shipping)... that quote puts the local dealership around $21 ea.)

·
33,221 Posts
Just a quick (okay it's a little long) story to see if anyone can relate to what's going on with my 2006 3.6.

Looking forward to a Friday drive home I'm greeted by a rough idle at a red light a mile from work and the oil pressure light flashing on the MFD. Pulled over, shut down and called VW roadside assistance (CPO warranty is coming in handy) and got a tow to the local VW dealership here in Tulsa.

Being the weekend they couldn't work on it right away but they did pull it in on Saturday and tell me the timing is off (sounds like a diesel truck) and they need to do an oil pressure check. Fine by me I have a spare car, have at it while it's under warranty.

Monday rolls around and they are talking about taking the head off, again go for it.

Tuesday I stop by and chat with the rep and the tech working the car, nice experience all around (again couldn't be happier to have the extend warranty right now). They didn't take the head off after borescoping to check the pistons for damage from the valves. They found the aft cam out of time and VWOA told them to replace the upper chain, guide/tensioner and timing gear set assuming something failed and the chain stretched. Okay, well what about the oil pump bolt? Well they hadn't heard of that issue but if these parts didn't fix the problem they'd ask VWOA what to do next and let me know.

Thursday and parts were supposed to be in this morning so I'm just waiting for the call to get the latest update.

So has anyone else heard of this happening with the 3.6? I couldn't find anything on the forums, all my searches take me to the oil pump bolt.

They also are going to do an AC tech bulletin and the bass flare tech bulletin while it's in, the tech and I sat down and went through the tech bulletins when I asked about one for the bolt and found these to do for me which was really nice.

So after all that goodness towards the dealership... what do you guys think of approx $600 for a 40K maintenance visit? And a nice $138 price quote for just parts to replace the spark plugs? (I know 1st vw and keffer sell them around $14 ea (before shipping)... that quote puts the local dealership around $21 ea.)

the issue could have been a failed chain tensioner, chain rails or within the chain itself....it doesn't necessarily have to be an issue with cams or in the head per se. it's possible but rare, and that you haven't damaged anything in the head is remarkable....make sure to have them provide WRITTEN proof of compression on each cylinder post repairs. a poor idle will tell you otherwise.

:thumbup:

·
33,221 Posts
ops....I forgot to mention that if they are using a bore scope to validate the cylinders, then the spark plugs are already OUT.....so you really only need to pay for the cost of the plugs, as the warranty repairs covered the R&R of the plugs.

the rest of the service is negotiable....maybe even save on the oil change, as I would think this should also be covered under the timing chain issues becuase of the possibility of debris.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ops....I forgot to mention that if they are using a bore scope to validate the cylinders, then the spark plugs are already OUT.....so you really only need to pay for the cost of the plugs, as the warranty repairs covered the R&R of the plugs.

the rest of the service is negotiable....maybe even save on the oil change, as I would think this should also be covered under the timing chain issues becuase of the possibility of debris.
Thanks for the reply and you're right the spark plugs are out... the price they quoted was just for the plugs not the labor. It's $285 for spark plug R&R with labor included.

As of right now the whole 40K maintenance is up in the air as they are now removing the engine to get to the lower chain. When the service rep called today he said that the whole front end was now off the car and the engine would be coming out tomorrow. I guess we'll get to have a look at the oil pump bolt after all.

·
33,221 Posts
Thanks for the reply and you're right the spark plugs are out... the price they quoted was just for the plugs not the labor. It's $285 for spark plug R&R with labor included.

As of right now the whole 40K maintenance is up in the air as they are now removing the engine to get to the lower chain. When the service rep called today he said that the whole front end was now off the car and the engine would be coming out tomorrow. I guess we'll get to have a look at the oil pump bolt after all.
I have a feeling that is the actual issue, not an issue with the timing chain. and in this case, all of the work surrounding the engine that falls within the 40K service SHOULD be included, parts AND labor.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a feeling that is the actual issue, not an issue with the timing chain. and in this case, all of the work surrounding the engine that falls within the 40K service SHOULD be included, parts AND labor.

Thanks, I think that's the issue too. Everything they have to do related to the fix will be covered by warranty for sure (fluids, seals, gaskets... etc.), parts and labor. They might even throw in a rental/loaner now that they plan on having my car for a little bit longer than anticipated. (I saw 26 days on another post for an oil pump bolt replacement.) I may still do the 40K myself as they didn't seem very willing to through in new plugs at no charge... I'll just have to ask.

I'm going back to the dealership to take a look at the car again today, I'll try and post some tear down pictures if I can take any.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Back with pictures, the whole motor is coming out and will be taken apart down to the block. Here's it's current state.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I own a 3.6 and I am dreading this happening at some point. I work for a VW/Audi dealer and have seen the bolt break off in some passats and sometimes the bolt just rattling around in the oil pump sprocket because the timing cover holds it in there. For your issue with the timing chains stretched, that is a possibility. Another fellow Audi tech has done (QTY2) 3.6 Q7's for stretched chains. Tech. line doesn't really tell us what's going on, just to replace all the chains and tensioners and it fixes the issue. If the bolt isn't the issue I would still tell your dealer to replace it with the revised one and put some "red locktite" on it!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I own a 3.6 and I am dreading this happening at some point. I work for a VW/Audi dealer and have seen the bolt break off in some passats and sometimes the bolt just rattling around in the oil pump sprocket because the timing cover holds it in there. For your issue with the timing chains stretched, that is a possibility. Another fellow Audi tech has done (QTY2) 3.6 Q7's for stretched chains. Tech. line doesn't really tell us what's going on, just to replace all the chains and tensioners and it fixes the issue. If the bolt isn't the issue I would still tell your dealer to replace it with the revised one and put some "red locktite" on it!
It sounds as if the tech line is telling my dealership tech pretty much the same thing. There has been no mention of the bolt unless I bring it up. I just got a call from the service rep informing me that they will be giving me a rental starting today as they aren't sure how long they will have my car for. My tech is also going to a week of training so the tech team leader is going to take over the work on my car...

I did request that the service rep check the system for the revised bolt and put a new bolt in even if the bolt wasn't found to be the problem.

Thanks for the feedback, it's all good information to know if you have a early model B6 with the 3.6 for sure. I hope your motor doesn't suffer the same fate as mine... but all I can keep thinking is how much I want my Passat back. :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Two weeks into this and my motor is slowly coming out of the car.

Spoke with the service rep and tech today and they think they've discovered the problem. It appears to be a loose or broken timing chain gear set. The gear moves transversely back and forth when you push on it.

It's little hard to tell and since my pictures are top down and the ones in the following link are bottom up but I'm almost 100% certain it's the same gear set and the same bolt problem.

I'm lucky I guess that the head and pistons are okay... or I guess VWoA is lucky, they just have labor and parts and not a rebuilt motor to pay for.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4755169-Replaced-a-3.6L-oil-pump-bolt

The gear is back in there, you can see in my crappy iPhone picture where the upper and lower chain meet around the gears.

The head...

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Yeah, I haven't seen this yet but I only work at VW dealership. So less vehicles with the 3.6l engine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally drove my car again today!

It was the oil pump bolt. Time to go add my car to the list in the 3.6 Forum. At least that problem won't be on my mind anymore. Plus I had the TSB for the bass flare and warm AC incorporated while it was in the shop.

December 3rd to December 27th... 24 days in the shop and over $4100 in CPO warranty costs for VW.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Wow, $4100 if not under warranty... glad you have her back and it was under warranty!

To be honest I'm relieved it was the oil pump bolt. I have an '08 3.6 which is supposed to be void on that issue so I didn't want another timing chain issue to worry about once I'm out of warranty.

Every time I see the 3.6 naked I think it looks funky. The VR6 configuration is unique that is for sure.

Also, in your first photos it looked like an intercooler hanging on the lower right hand side of the car? What is that? You don't have the 2.0T so...

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Also, in your first photos it looked like an intercooler hanging on the lower right hand side of the car? What is that? You don't have the 2.0T so...
It's an aux radiator. Plumbed in parallel with the main radiator. I guess VW didn't think the main rad had enough surface area for the 3.6

Seems like it's just more stuff to leak or fail, imo. Could've installed a slightly bigger main radiator. German "over-engineering to a fault" at it's finest.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, $4100 if not under warranty... glad you have her back and it was under warranty!

To be honest I'm relieved it was the oil pump bolt. I have an '08 3.6 which is supposed to be void on that issue so I didn't want another timing chain issue to worry about once I'm out of warranty.

Every time I see the 3.6 naked I think it looks funky. The VR6 configuration is unique that is for sure.

Thanks, the CPO definitely came in handy. Now I know that's what the dealership is going to charge to VWoA... but I'm sadly skeptical as to whether it would have been the same if I was paying out of pocket. The service department has been great through all of this but they could improve a lot if their parts costs were lower. (I've told them that too...)

I was relieved that's what it was too. It's a load off my mind, and truthfully I had thought about trading it on a 2008 (I don't think I really need to now though). Definitely from all I've read it seems like you should be fine.

I know what you mean and I do think there is something very clean in the design especially with just one head and two cams for a "V" six.

One day a few grand in the future there might be an intercooler there somewhere but for now it does look like the aux radiator... I'm not positive but I do know the 3.6 has one.

And now the let down: After a teaser day of driving it I'm taking it back to the dealership, there is definite rattle/vibration noise coming from the engine during acceleration. Right around 2500 to 3000 RPM it makes a noise that it shouldn't and it sounds mechanical. Crap :(

·
Registered
200 Posts
i'm sorry but that dealer sucks! i've personally done two of these bolts and did not tear apart the car this bad! my dealer has also replaced 3 engines for this concern. Techline used to follow the rule if the oil light came on, the car got a new engine(my 06 passat got a new engine at 10k.) I cant imagine how that dealer never heard of the oil pump bolt when almost all 3.6l 06s had this issue. And 24 days? lol i had both of mine out the door in 2 days. lol and that link you posted has pics of one of the cars that i did.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
i'm sorry but that dealer sucks! i've personally done two of these bolts and did not tear apart the car this bad! my dealer has also replaced 3 engines for this concern. Techline used to follow the rule if the oil light came on, the car got a new engine(my 06 passat got a new engine at 10k.) I cant imagine how that dealer never heard of the oil pump bolt when almost all 3.6l 06s had this issue. And 24 days? lol i had both of mine out the door in 2 days. lol and that link you posted has pics of one of the cars that i did.
Can you tell me what you had to remove to get it done? I may have to do one and its way out of warranty.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The dealers out here sadly don't have near the experience that the east coast dealers do that's for sure. Being near Boston the VW density is way higher (Having spent over 20 years in the NY and PA area I know that.)... Oklahoma had two (yes 2 to your 8 or so in just the Boston area) until last year, now there are three. It's just something you get used to, I'm just happy they are working with me so well compared to stories I've read from other forum members where the service reps aren't nearly so friendly. It would have been nice to have someone like you with your knowledge working on my car for sure... well I would have done it but I'll take my warranty money where I can get it. Also I'd be surprised if my dealership ever sold more than 20 2006 3.6L Passats... like I said VWs aren't high volume in OK, out here if it ain't a Ford, Chevy or Dodge it ain't worth driving.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nuke it from orbit... it's the only way to be sure.
As long as it makes it until 2012 for me to trade in on a Golf R that's my goal for right now. VW can do what they want with it after that.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts