VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
How many miles on the car now and how's it running with that code present? Is that the only code you have?

Also, the HPFP is driven by a cam follower so not sure it can "jump time" in a traditional sense, unless I am misunderstanding what you mean.
Yeah I was wondering about the same. But after I read the TSB I linked above. It look like this code is just a byproduct of stretched chain. Chain stretches more than 8 degrees which makes the cam follower to be either 8degrees "to early" or "too late" to compress on the HPFP. That then sets of "pressure to high" for that given instance of time.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Update!

After some disassembly I found the Cam chain to be loose, this allowed the HPFP drive to have significant play, during timing alignment I heard a click and immediately all play in the cam chain and HPFP was gone, it looks like the chain tensioner somehow got stuck, I will be replacing it and re-assembling the engine, I will report back if the P0088 code goes away and stays gone.

If this is the correct diagnoses, it may save some folks a little time and work. In this engine with only 76K I was skeptical about excessive chain wear (stretch) and wondered why the tensioner did not compensate.
Just my2 cents. I would not run this engine until you are able to replace timing component and confirm everything. I believe 3.6 is an interference engine

1 - 3 of 3 Posts