VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
How many miles on the car now and how's it running with that code present? Is that the only code you have?

Also, the HPFP is driven by a cam follower so not sure it can "jump time" in a traditional sense, unless I am misunderstanding what you mean.

Registered
This is one of a few I have found and compared to my issue, identical.

My question was to see if anyone had different findings before I pull either the engine or the trans to replace all of the timing chain and associated hardware on a car with 76K and a complete maintenance history, I am finding it a little hard to believe the chain wear as a factor.

Since this post was started,
I have pulled the valve cover and the chain and top chain guide are very clean and I see virtually no wear on the nylon guide.
Not a professional opinion but, from what I've gleaned whilst lurking the boards for years, 76K seems way too early for chains to be shot. Hopefully it was, as you said, just the adjuster being bound up. 馃嵒

Registered
Yeah I was wondering about the same. But after I read the TSB I linked above. It look like this code is just a byproduct of stretched chain. Chain stretches more than 8 degrees which makes the cam follower to be either 8degrees "to early" or "too late" to compress on the HPFP. That then sets of "pressure to high" for that given instance of time.
Thank you for sharing this, never occurred to me. Makes perfect sense, too. (y) 馃嵒

1 - 3 of 3 Posts