VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , I have a 2008 Audi TT 3.2l and I think I figured out how to get the 3.6l manifold on my 3.2l motor. I was hoping I could get some help I'm here as far as the electronics and vacuum lines. As I said I pretty much figured out how to physically get the 3.6l intake manifold on to my 3.2l motor but I'm not sure about the electronics & vacuum lines. I have the 2 piece manifold but was thinking the 1 peice flapper manifold would be better because of the similarities to the 3.2l manifold but after seeing the differences which are mainly the flapper actuators and I think a couple vacuum lines I wanted to know how to get everything to work correctly. I saw that the flapper actuator on the 3.6l has an electrical connection directly on it while the 3.2l does not and also both 3.6l manifolds look like they have some sort of vacuum reservoir in them. Can anyone give me any help and insight on getting the flapper actuator and vacuum hook ups to work?

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
These might help:

Look for variable intake system so you know what is involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you doing it for looks or performance?
If for looks why not just paint the 3.2 manifold. I can’t see any performance gains.

I'm doing it for performance. The thought is that since the 3.6l 1 piece manifold is identical but with more volume then it would allow more airflow giving more power like the 2.9 VR6 or clone manifold on the 2.8l.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm doing it for performance. The thought is that since the 3.6l 1 piece manifold is identical but with more volume then it would allow more airflow giving more power like the 2.9 VR6 or clone manifold on the 2.8l.
Then You should read how the variable intake shifter rod is controlled in both. I know the 3.2 is vacuum controlled.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These might help:

Look for variable intake system so you know what is involved.

Thanks I found where it explains and gives a diagram for the flapper/roller barrel operation vis vacuum and the n156 valve but didn't actually show the 3.6l flap design but looks like the concept is exactly the same and may have the needed vacuum reservoir built into the 3.6l manifold instead of an external reservoir on the 3.2l. It didn't show what the other vacuum ports where for though. Looks like to are for fuel vapor inlet and return ports.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Then You should read how the variable intake shifter rod is controlled in both. I know the 3.2 is vacuum controlled.

It doesn't particularly show the 3.6l flapper design. It only shows the 3 2l barrel design but looks like the controls are about exactly the same.

·
Registered
37,708 Posts
I know what you mean but I'm planning on using the 3.2l manifold flange connected to the 3.6l flange so that doesn't happen.
My hypothesis is it will be lazy with the bigger runners and same port size. Should be interesting to say the least.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My hypothesis is it will be lazy with the bigger runners and same port size. Should be interesting to say the least.
Why do you think it will be lazy? The runners are lager but it's not like it double the size and the 3.6l one piece manifold is variable to maximize torque just like the 3.2l manifold. If you have a good technical reason though let me know and maybe I won't waste my time.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
A 2008 TT should be straight forward to just swap the whole 3.6 into.

You have the correct Accelerator Pedal, you don't have a PS pump, the cruise control should work with the 3.6, the cooling setup should be basically the same as the 3.6 Passat.

Unless your TT is manual. No 3.6 came in manual except the Porsche SUV, so most ECMs don't have the clutch pedal input.

Honestly, just shove the whole 3.6 in, here's one in my MK4.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A 2008 TT should be straight forward to just swap the whole 3.6 into.

You have the correct Accelerator Pedal, you don't have a PS pump, the cruise control should work with the 3.6, the cooling setup should be basically the same as the 3.6 Passat.

Unless your TT is manual. No 3.6 came in manual except the Porsche SUV, so most ECMs don't have the clutch pedal input.

Honestly, just shove the whole 3.6 in, here's one in my MK4.

View attachment 78860
That's nice. I had been thinking about swapping in the 3.6l since I got it but I can't find detailed info on doing the swap. My car is a DSG Quattro and I'm not sure if I can also would need the trans, axles, rear diff from a 3.6l or just the motor.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Just the motor + engine wiring harness + ECM + some of the body wiring harness most likely. (and then the plumbing since i'm sure some is different)

You existing accessories should just bolt on to the 3.6. Passenger side motor mount bolts on too.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just the motor + engine wiring harness + ECM + some of the body wiring harness most likely. (and then the plumbing since i'm sure some is different)

You existing accessories should just bolt on to the 3.6. Passenger side motor mount bolts on too.
I actually had an 06 3.6l Passat fwd with tiptronic but got rid of it a little while back because of issues with it. Looks like the earlier 3.6l's have more power than the later 3.6l's.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.