VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone know how much work it would take to swap the 2.0T engine with a 3.6l VR6 while keeping the car as a front wheel drive?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
Why the hell would you want all that power being delivered to just the front wheels? lol. Maybe I'm biased.

infinitecho recently swapped a 3.6 into his MK5 R32.

Would anyone know how much work it would take to swap the 2.0T engine with a 3.6l VR6
Very broad question. It can be done but it would require a significant amount of labor hours.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
is the V6 in a toureg a 3.6 as well??? The standard passat 4motion estate in america comes in that size. it's no R but it's AWD with a 3.6 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
is the V6 in a toureg a 3.6 as well??? The standard passat 4motion estate in america comes in that size. it's no R but it's AWD with a 3.6 if I remember correctly.
Correct. V6 but not a VR6. I can't recall what exact engine was in the passat 4motion.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
The 3.6L motor is a pretty common motor, but all the cars that it is in are pretty 'new'.

The 4mo passat wagen has the 3.6L RV6, as does the CC 3.6 4mo, the Touareg, the Q7 ... I suspect I am missing one or two, but you get the idea.

There will be a significant amount of reverse engineering required. You won't be able to use any of the existing wiring (most likely), we weren't able to reuse much of anything in my car though I had the 3.2 to start.

Where are you located? If you're interested in doing this I would recommend getting in touch with Tom over at Innovative Motorsport in CT. He's already done this swap once into an MKV and has an extra 3.6L motor. You'll also need to get an ECU from United Motorsport as so far as research shows they're the only ones with a working flash for that motor. IMS and UM work very closely together -- its really one of the best options if you really have the $ and balls to take on the project. :beer:

There are a number of pics from my swaps in my build thread (link in sig). A lot of people have seen the work in person. The only problem we've run into is that the swap is so clean, people just think the car is stock. :banghead::laugh:

3.6L Cold start action:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts