VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2018 VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6 spd Midnight Blue
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to see pics of Alltracks & Sportwagens being used on tracks other than pavement. Snow, sand, mud, dirt, gravel, ruts, rocks, water, etc...

Here is one of my Sportwagen driving through an avalanche near Silverton, CO

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
While I'm not discounting any of these pictures, they are awesome, not a single one is 3 wheeling and I'd be shocked if the long, heavy alltrack COULD 3 wheel

• Sad
Reactions: CanuckBird

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Snow

Sky Tire Car Snow Wheel

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Sky Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Plant

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle Cloud

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Sky

Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle Tire

"3-wheeling" is tongue-in-cheek for attention, of course...
No one is claiming to run the Rubicon or the Bathtub at Moab in a longtail. But...snowy roads not yet plowed, tractor trails hunting the Badlands, backcountry car camping- all quite possible with larger tires, add 1" lift and skidplate for more peace of mind. Hill Descent helps on the Alltrack.

Fragile Jeep egos will remain unharmed by these photos. (One is at the top of the PCH near the Scissors crossing, fwiw. Another in Coconinos at the top of some rutted USFS roads, towing)

PS: If I need to actually drive "off-road" in actual 4x4 with low-low, then of course I'll look to one step up; something like the big Bronco, after the early adopters beta test it...🤣

But this gets me to 90% of the rest I want to see...with superlative highway manners on the hundreds of miles to and from, decent handling in twisties...far better mpg and no jeep death wobble.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
View attachment 222993

View attachment 222989

View attachment 222994
View attachment 222999
View attachment 223002
View attachment 223000
View attachment 222998
View attachment 223001
View attachment 222997

"3-wheeling" is tongue-in-cheek for attention, of course...
No one is claiming to run the Rubicon or the Bathtub at Moab in a longtail. But...snowy roads not yet plowed, tractor trails hunting the Badlands, backcountry car camping- all quite possible with larger tires, add 1" lift and skidplate for more peace of mind. Hill Descent helps on the Alltrack.

Fragile Jeep egos will remain unharmed by these photos. (One is at the top of the PCH near the Scissors crossing, fwiw. Another in Coconinos at the top of some rutted USFS roads, towing)

PS: If I need to actually drive "off-road" in actual 4x4 with low-low, then of course I'll look to one step up; something like the big Bronco, after the early adopters beta test it...🤣

But this gets me to 90% of the rest I want to see...with superlative highway manners on the hundreds of miles to and from, decent handling in twisties...far better mpg and no jeep death wobble.
We must have different ideas of a Volkswagen 3-wheeling...

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky

·
Registered
2018 VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6 spd Midnight Blue
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While I'm not discounting any of these pictures, they are awesome, not a single one is 3 wheeling and I'd be shocked if the long, heavy alltrack COULD 3 wheel

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
1400# wet
CampInn 560 Ultra.
Its equipped with trailer brakes which are required in some states like CA for over 1500#, so I'm quite comfortable with safety margin.
About half of CI owners tow with Outbacks, reportedly so my AT with a stg1 tune and 1" lift is comparable/superior to the CVT (imho ymmv...;)

I've upgraded to 7pin which Curt makes a harness on, also available on e-trailer
inc upgrading the power line back from battery bus to 10ga, fused to 30a, for alternator charging, tapped the reverse circuit with help of a vw mastertech...so far so good in 11,000 miles of towing.
(pm for details if you need more so I dont threadjkack further!)

And it tows very solid, straight, predictable and much better than its predecessor at 1100# old coleman tent trailer with different weight balance, un-braked.
I keep it at the published speed limits in various states for example 55 in CA and up to 80 in some western- its been solid even in some crosswinds up to 40 mph gusts in a ground blizzard, and a couple tstms, tho of course I slow down a bit!

I prefer around 65-70 just for mpg, and safety just in case. With oversized tires that puts me at 2500rpm in 5th to avoid over boost and 2000 in 6th going level with the wind or downhill. I get 17 to 24 towing depending on the wind. Not great but not as bad as a taco or jeep...or a bigger SUV towing.

The trailer tongue wt is 200# max on the teardrop well within the Ecohitch max at 300#/2000# towed limit.

I do keep a close eye on the hitch attachment to the unibody behind the bumper bar and have tested alternatives including hanging a lot off a cargo hitch, just to see if the hitch mounting bolts loosen up...so far so good.
Too much weight on cargo box hitch is less stable than a towed trailer in my experience= Too much at the end of the moment arm.
A 1up with a bike works fine, tho, on the Ecohitch as the weight is closer in.

There are some who lecture on towing standards, "OMG, OMG" like odo fraud etc on oversized wheels, vs industry norm in practical use. Use the Uhaul website- you can rent a trailer with an Alltrack- just dont overload the payload...

So I will respectfully decline debate and instead refer all to do their own homework, decide for themselves.

Look at the 2017 AT owners manual itself- its chock a block full of tips on how to tow, do uphill starts etc.

The GSW/Alltrack doesnt have published tow limits in the US, except in the 2015 GSW owners manual, IIRC from research on the GSW/AT done then.*

Mk7 wagon is variously specced for 1500-2000# in ROW and in the UK the diesel version to 2000kg/4400# where it won Tow Vehicle of the Year 3 years running on caravan sites. Its the same platform functionally, but Caravans are also built different there and speeds limited.

There are some threads on the debate here way back- search for the Bearded Detailer or ProjectAlltrack- he explains it well.

* I suspect VWOA declined to update the certificate when the US regulators made changes in towing standards about 2015...prolly due VWOAs lawyers reluctance to take on risk during Dieselgate, but thats not confirmed just my guess.
Tire Wheel Car Sky Cloud

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
PS: an upgrade would be the Westy version of the factory tow option you could get in Germany- very cool foldaway ball but a bit of a job to install the hitch as it includes ears on side to connect to the unibody that make it stronger- someone here has done it...posted how to...

You'd haveta search threads to find it, as dont have it handy, sorry...
and
even cooler is the adaptation of the factory wiring harness to connect to the BCM to allow the awd to sense and correct for trailer sway.
Thats too tricky for me to DIY but Bearded Detailer did a harness build and that may still be on his website, for how to...again, another guy did too, since...see threads.

Thats all I got, hope its helpful!

·
Registered
'17 GSW 4MO DSG lifted w/ Alltrack springs
106 Posts
Thats all I got, hope its helpful!
Thanks for the info, and plenty of it.
I have seen the foldaway hitches they have in Europe, very cool. And yes, CVT trannys are terrible.

I found the Bearded site, also googled european Alltrack towing capacity and found numbers like you quoted. I have a very small trailer the size of a pallet that I use and was wondering about a camper. Thanks for the back and forth on your experience. Looks great!

sorry for the hijack OP
:)

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Thanks for the info, and plenty of it.
I have seen the foldaway hitches they have in Europe, very cool. And yes, CVT trannys are terrible.

I found the Bearded site, also googled european Alltrack towing capacity and found numbers like you quoted. I have a very small trailer the size of a pallet that I use and was wondering about a camper. Thanks for the back and forth on your experience. Looks great!

sorry for the hijack OP
:)
You're welcome. I am not worthy.
This guy, however, is:
Check out StealthGTI's web site and youtubes on his trailer tow and other mods to his GTI. Very cool.
Scott posts here occassionally- brilliant guy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts