VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i just got my new turbo and installed everything correctlly, im new to the whole big turbo upgrades but what im runnin is a gt3076r hks ssqv tial 38mm wastegate and a greddy profec b2 mbc. currentlly im running on a 93octane giac program untill i get all the querks worked out. first question, my wastegate is just running off a dump tube and its open at idle, is it supposed to be open at idle and why? 2nd when i start to take off the car sounds like a POS car with a huge exhaust leak is this normal because its atmospheric dump? 3rd boost hits at 5psi at 2500rpm-4000rpm then instantly spikes and holds at 10psi and drops off around 5700rpm i dont see why it keeps droping because a 3076 should have no problem holding 10psi. 4th could the boost just not be holding due to not having my 630cc's, fuel pump, adj. fpr and tuning? the wastegate is hooked up with the com port on the mbc going to the top port on the tial and the side port tee'd into the line wich hooks the NC port on the mbc to the turbo outlet/intercooler pipe
thanks guys! any help will be greatly appriciated i cant wait to get this thing tuned and working up to its full potential!

p.s. yes i am getting new piston's rings rods crank and cams before the tuning http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
Re: 3076r with tial 38mm wastegate... got some questions.. please help!! (volkswagendude01)

Sounds like the hoses connecting the wastegate are backwards. Have you tried just running off wastegate spring alone rather than using the boost controller? It sounds like your boost controller is opening the gate way too early.
Second thing is you REALLY need to keep an eye on injector duty cycle and air fuel ratio, you're going into this blind and hoping 10psi is okay (which it should be), but you need to log everything.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Re: 3076r with tial 38mm wastegate... got some questions.. please help!! (volkswagendude01)

sounds like you dropped the fire ring that seals against the valve on the wastegate. It wont ever "vent"

·
Registered
15,993 Posts
Re: 3076r with tial 38mm wastegate... got some questions.. please help!! (EdsGTI)

are you really running stock fueling(injectors, rail, fpr)?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes, currentlly running stock fueling, and loging.. the valve seat is in the wastegate and im almost positive its hooked up correctlly according to the directions that came with it but i will try running it on its own spring and see what happens

·
Banned
4,294 Posts
Re: (volkswagendude01)

you should not hear any exhaust until you have hit the boost pressure tahts equal to your spring pressure. if you hear exhaust at idle, or free revving, you did something wrong.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
for christs sake the ****ing fire ring isnt installed.
Its the round ring that seats in the bottom of the wastegate. It is a loose fit and falls out all the time, they are taped in when you get it with red tape.

·
Banned
2,824 Posts
Re: (EdsGTI)

Quote, originally posted by EdsGTI »
for christs sake the ****ing fire ring isnt installed.
Its the round ring that seats in the bottom of the wastegate. It is a loose fit and falls out all the time, they are taped in when you get it with red tape.

to the OP, its to the right of the wastegate, under the bolts in the pic, is this missing on yours??

Modified by MY05GLI at 12:54 PM 2-25-2008

·
Registered
2,199 Posts

You have to connect the hose going to the wastegate to your BOOST tubing BEFORE the throttle body.NOT connected to vacuum lines/intake manifold.If you have it connected to vacuum port it will open up the wastegate at idle........this is a common amateur/novice mistake!

·
Banned
4,294 Posts
Re: 3076r with tial 38mm wastegate... got some questions.. please help!! (VWAUDITEK)

Quote, originally posted by VWAUDITEK »
You have to connect the hose going to the wastegate to your BOOST tubing BEFORE the throttle body.NOT connected to vacuum lines/intake manifold.If you have it connected to vacuum port it will open up the wastegate at idle........this is a common amateur/novice mistake!

Quote, originally posted by volkswagendude01 »
the wastegate is hooked up with the com port on the mbc going to the top port on the tial and the side port tee'd into the line wich hooks the NC port on the mbc to the turbo outlet/intercooler pipe

·
Registered
3 Posts

ok, so i just got my new turbo and installed everything correctlly

Not!
? 2nd when i start to take off the car sounds like a POS car with a huge exhaust leak is this normal because its atmospheric dump?

Fire Ring as stated earlier is the culprit...and could easly be described as a huge exhaust leak.
3rd boost hits at 5psi at 2500rpm-4000rpm then instantly spikes and holds at 10psi and drops off around 5700rpm i dont see why it keeps droping because a 3076 should have no problem holding 10psi.

A GT3076R can hold 10 psi until... well pretty much forever. The reason it is falling off is that missing fire ring.
I hate to say it but you have failed at installing your waste gate and for that you must re-do it. Look in the box, the fire ring is probably in there, or on the floor of your garage.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
proud to say your all wrong, the ring is in and everything was installed correctlly.. im just an idiot and while installing the wastegate the gasket fell off and my buddy didnt realize it needed one.. problem fixed with the leek but boost is still dumping off.. i found another problem though theres a crack in the HKS which is giving it a boost leek, im pretty sure thats the problem, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Re: (volkswagendude01)

my buddy didnt realize it needed one..

thats because it doesnt..... youll be taking it out/replacing it in no time flat...

·
Banned
2,824 Posts
Re: (Ted Brogan)

Quote, originally posted by Ted Brogan »

thats because it doesnt..... youll be taking it out/replacing it in no time flat...

x2
metal to metal.... better off on the wastegate to mani.... unless you enjoy blowing up gaskets
proud to say your all wrong, the ring is in and everything was installed correctlly.. im just an idiot and while installing the wastegate the gasket fell off and my buddy didnt realize it needed one.. problem fixed with the leek but boost is still dumping off.. i found another problem though theres a crack in the HKS which is giving it a boost leek, im pretty sure thats the problem, what do you guys think?

that gasket shouldnt make a difference unless the bottom is warped....

Modified by MY05GLI at 12:14 AM 2-26-2008

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Re: (MY05GLI)

Quote, originally posted by MY05GLI »

x2
metal to metal.... better off on the wastegate to mani.... unless you enjoy blowing up gaskets

Modified by MY05GLI at 12:14 AM 2-26-2008

ive never had a problem with my wastegate gasket, only reasont they would blow out is if the surface isnt true, or it came loose at one point and rattled on it, or you have the super cheap Ebay wastegate gaskets. mine are the stainless TiAl gaskets

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.