VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced engine vibration with the 2.8L 30v V6 in a B5.5. Occurs between 1500 - 1800 or so RPMs. Above or below that range it is smooth as silk. It does it while in gear (I have a 5 spd.), in neutral, and with the clutch depressed. I have ruled out the transmission and am guessing it is engine related. Not sure if it is just the way the engine is "balanced" or if I have misaligned pully, or what the deal is. Just wondering if anyone has experienced the same and if I should have the dealer look into this at my 5,000 service. Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: 30V V6 engine vibration (Otto_Bahn Runner)

I have noticed the same thing with my 5.5. I brought my car back to the dealer and we tried other V6 and the vibration is only noticable in the 5 speeds. I posted this question last April and most owners don't seem to notice it but I do. The dealer contacted the area VW Tech Rep and he checked out my car and others at the dealership and said this is the way it is on the V6's and there was nothing they could do. I didn't really care for that answer so I contacted VWOA and file a case with them in case anything happens.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Re: 30V V6 engine vibration (DCdave)

it's an annoying design flaw pure and simple. for such a sophisticated engine, 30 valves and all, you'd think the engineers could have added a balance shaft to rectify the shudder.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Re: 30V V6 engine vibration (luvNvwN)

After a little while you won't even notice it.
DCdave, my salesman called the heated seats "date warmers" and he said the sunroof was where I could "throw my empties". I chuckle every time I think about my first test drive.

..Alpha

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: 30V V6 engine vibration (Otto_Bahn Runner)

I have a V6 4MO 2002 wagon with 5K miles and my car has an engine vibration mostly noticeable in idle but also when driving. Service says the computer checked out normal but of course the computer can not feel vibrations. My father pointed out that the hood of the car is vibrating as well...
My car has the automatic transmission....
Any pointers?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Re: 30V V6 engine vibration (Vince53166)

My 01 4Mo Variant hadan annoying resonance when in gear, and sitting at the light... it appeared that everysurface in the car wanted to resonate at about 680 Hz... 5 minutes with the VAG-COM, and my Bently CD, and I dropped the idle from 680 to 620 (bottom of spec for 4 Mo)... and now I have to look at the tach to make sure it's running...
granted not the same problem (actually haven't noticed that one), but others mentioned idle...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Re: 30V V6 engine vibration (pass-variant)

Pass-Variant - You are exactly right! That vibration at idle was really annoying, so yesterday I went to the dealer and asked them to set the idle to 620 rpm. The technician hooked up the VAG-COM and as the car was idling, I immediately felt all the idle vibration disappear. My car was actually set to idle at 770 rpm originally.
Thanks again for an excellent post.
Jim

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
Re: 30V V6 engine vibration (Cruisin9)

I too felt that this engine is not as smooth and quiet at idle/low rpms as I'm used to (had BMW 3.5L six just before this). Had it all checked out when I first got the car last year, and after checking out timing belt/tensioners etc. service manager took me around lot and we listened to a bunch of V6 Passats and they all sound pretty much the same. Kind of "cobby" engine at idle, but what torque at 3500 rpms...love it!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Re: 30V V6 engine vibration (Cruisin9)

Great, I'm glad it helped... I couldn't believe the difference. Only one note on it though. According to the Bently CD, the FWD, and the AWD cars have different spec idle ranges (I have no idea why)... and you are now below yours (not saying it's bad... just letting you know)
... so for reference: 30V V6
Spec. Value (AWD): 620-740 RPM
Spec. Value (FWD): 740-860 RPM

[Modified by pass-variant, 11:32 AM 12-12-2001]

·
Registered
57 Posts

Pass-variant - Thanks for the info on the different idle speeds for FWD vs AWD. I intially had the tech lower the idle from the original 770 to 680 and it did not make that much difference in the vibration. I then asked him to lower it to 620 and all the vibrations disappeared. I wonder why the idle speeds are different, as I think the engines are identical.
Jim

·
Registered
723 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR] the AWD cars have different spec idle ranges (I have no idea why)
[Modified by pass-variant, 11:32 AM 12-12-2001][HR][/HR]​
Although I don't know for sure (and haven't noticed the problem in mine) I wonder if the different idle specs might have to do with the different exhaust systems - different back pressure?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.