VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I understand it, the 337's exhaust only features a 3" tip and not a full cat-back exhaust. If I chip it with APR w/o going aftermarket exhaust, what kind of straight-line performance numbers am I looking at? Is the 337's stock exhaust up-to-par with a chipped engine?
And are VW 1.8T engines more reliable to mods than the S4's 2.7 bi-turbo engine?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Re: 337 and Basic Mods (WRS2K)

quote:[HR][/HR]As I understand it, the 337's exhaust only features a 3" tip and not a full cat-back exhaust. If I chip it with APR w/o going aftermarket exhaust, what kind of straight-line performance numbers am I looking at? Is the 337's stock exhaust up-to-par with a chipped engine?
And are VW 1.8T engines more reliable to mods than the S4's 2.7 bi-turbo engine?
Thanks.[HR][/HR]​
I just spoke to APR and they said that they will have to wait until they actually get their hands on a 337 but if it is the same as the other AWP engines (which is most likely is) then it will put out around 215hp/240tq (crank).
From what I understand the 2.7t's had a lot of issues with the turbos building up a lot of heat. This was largely caused by the tight confines of the engine compartment. I have heard that 2.7t K03 turbo failures are almost common in chipped cars that are not warmed up and cooled down properly. I have heard of very few K03 failures in 1.8t cars.
hope this helps

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Re: 337 and Basic Mods (H20Power)

Proper warm-up and cool-down goes without saying on any turbo car. I have heard of turbo failures for the 1.8T cars just like the S4's. I had 18k miles on my S4 in chip'd mode. I have had ZERO problems with my car.
Anytime you chip your car, there are risks. Proper care is very important. Chip it and enjoy!!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Re: 337 and Basic Mods (NickS)

The S4 (and 2.7T really) has a disproportionately higher amount of turbo failures than any other car utilizing the K03. While there have been other people out there with failed turbos, *most* of them are due to problems with turbo from the factory rather than abuse. I have owned 3 1.8T powered cars, one with more than 55,000 modified miles (K04 turbo upgrade) with no problems. The 1.8T was designed to be turbocharged from the onset and seems to handle a great deal of abuse beyond what the factory intended.
Obviously anytime you modify your car beyond what the factory intended you run the risk of breaking something. It is a "pay if you play" sort of thing, so if you want to modify your car and something breaks expect to pay for it. It really irks me when people want to get around the factory warranty or try to cover something up before bringing the car in to fix something that broke because the car was modified. S4 owners are particularly guilty of this and hyper-paranoid of warranty issues (I own an S4 Avant in addition to our VW's, so I'm not picking on them).
If you are truely worried about your warranty, then don't modify the engine. If you plan to keep your car forever and drive it into the ground, you may also want to think twice about modifying the engine. Also be very careful what you do and who's products you use. There are a LOT of people in our 1.8T forum that are mixing and matching all sorts of different products, many times running into issues where they have surging issues, low boost, MAF sensors breaking or not functioning properly, etc., etc. which makes it that much more difficult to troubleshoot where the problem is stemming from - plus the dealer won't fix these problems under warranty in all cases because of the modifications. So think hard, do lots of research and make the best educated decision you can before you tinker with your $20,000 plus car.
-jamie

·
Banned
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: 337 and Basic Mods (vwvortex1)

I'm coming from Honda reliability. I used to have an S2000 and the S4 was a choice back in the days when I was first looking for a car, thus the comparison in engine reliability.
I'm trying to get a feel for what's necessary for the 337 to keep up in the straights with a stock S4/S2000.
I'm into modding, but then the car is not my life. All I plan on doing is chipping it and putting an aftermarket exhaust on it (APR, but why are its tips angled?)
I wouldn't have ever seriously considered a GTI if the 337 did not exist. It's a good looking car even if it is meant to be an econobox. It is a looker.
Just wanted to comment that you guys have a classy site here.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Re: 337 and Basic Mods (BoxCar)

My general rule of thumb with my corrado is never get into the boost untill its reached operating temp. Don't rev it high or quickly either. And with a turbo, you have to let it cool down before turning the car off. I know alot of people go by one minute or more of idle to allow good oil circulation through the bearings before they turn it off. Just be easy on it when its not warm, and give it a cool down. Just like if you're exercising. I'm sure others could give you a little bit better routine. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Re: 337 and Basic Mods (BoxCar)

quote:[HR][/HR]What would you guy consider a propper warm up of a turbo?[HR][/HR]​
Wait until the oil is warmed up. It is misleading to watch the engine temp gauge. Just because the engine temp gauge shows that the engine is warm doesn't mean that the oil is warmed up.
My VR6 had an MFA with oil temp. The temp wouldn't start reading until it got to a certain temperature (don't remember what the magic number was). The engine would be warm and the HVAC would be blowing hot air but the oil temp gauge was not reading yet. I try to give it at least 5 minutes before I get into it.
Cool down is also super important.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Re: 337 and Basic Mods (H20Power)

so as i am trying to understand this better myself, an oil temp instrument is an aftermarket product? if your's was a digital, will there be an anolog model as well? TIA.
[edit] ohh, you did mentioned MFA...so can the oil temp gauge also guide the cooling process?

[Modified by hafa_adai, 12:59 AM 4-5-2002]

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Re: 337 and Basic Mods (hafa_adai)

if you wait for your engine oil temp to go down before turning off the car, you will be sitting for a good while. Let it idle for about 1min and you should be fine. If you were realy spirited in your driving, give it an extra minute.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Re: 337 and Basic Mods (Power5)

Wait till it's warm, calmly wait for it to cool! That keeps the turbo turning!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts