VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what I have to look forward to on the badly maintained roads I drive on frequently...also, I'm bored waiting for my car, so this gives me something to think about...

·
Registered
880 Posts
Re: 337 Owners: How's the ride on bad roads? (G)

it doesn't do to well on bumpy roads. The unsprung weight is a bit to high

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Re: 337 Owners: How's the ride on bad roads? (BoxCar)

so what can we do to remedy this?
quote:[HR][/HR]it doesn't do to well on bumpy roads. The unsprung weight is a bit to high[HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: 337 Owners: How's the ride on bad roads? (BoxCar)

Damn. Didn't want to hear that.
Guess I should have known better, 18" wheels and all. My instincts were probably right...unless you're going to pay big bucks for a BMW M car or AMG Mercedes, you're not going to get a decent, smooth ride on rough roads AND truly great handling.

[Modified by G, 10:18 AM 5-31-2002]

·
Registered
374 Posts

G, I'm not sure if you got my IM. I just wanted to let you know I talked to Scott O today. He's been talking to his guys at the port and has only good news. They haven't heard of the airbag problem. He's says my car is on track for next week. He also went as far as saying if we have to go to Wilington to pick it up ourselves we will. Also my friend in Mechanicsburg told me he say a 337 running around there yesterday. I know it's wishful thinking but I'm hoping I'm driving my ne car next week!

·
Registered
10 Posts

I've actually been surprisingly happy with the ride. I figured that with the stiff suspension the ride would be pretty jarring, but I don't think it is at all. I live where it rains a lot, so the roads here are not very good, and I barely notice the ruts and holes in the road. But, everyone has their own preferences/expectations.

·
Chili Bigot
(boop/ bop/ beep)
20,412 Posts

Ride is subjective. Much better than my Miata sans SP. I compare it to my buddy's Integra GS-R, although much quieter. Slow speeds over RR tracks, and potholes are rough, but cruising at 65+ is smooth as glass. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: 337 Owners: How's the ride on bad roads? (AYellowGTI)

Sounds good AYellowGTI. Didn't get your IM- I guess they're still having problems with it.

·
Registered
459 Posts

I don't think getting an M car or an AMG car gets you a better ride/handling compromise. Physics are physics.
I do think this ultra low-profile, big diameter wheel thing is out of hand. We're getting track grip and handling precision at the expense of real-world, rough road handling and a decent riide. It's mostly a fashion thing. Same with SUVs - the tires are way bigger than they need to be but customers thing bigger = better.
- Mark

·
Registered
436 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Just wondering what I have to look forward to on the badly maintained roads I drive on frequently...also, I'm bored waiting for my car, so this gives me something to think about...
[HR][/HR]​

Oh man...you're in PA. You know that PA is voted the #1 worst state roads? Dunno where in PA you but don't be coming to Philly or your sideskirts, front and rear bumper will be falling off from all the damn potholes. LOL. Of course unless you're gonna come to visit me so i can take a look at that beauty.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Re: 337 Owners: How's the ride on bad roads? (psukid)

Ain't that the truth. Of course visiting Philly would probably leave you without wheels, stereo, or quite frankly a car after it's stolen. Unless it gets banged up on the street too bad first and no one wants to steal it

·
Registered
852 Posts

It all depends wher you're coming from - it rides *amazingly* well compared to many other high performance rides - the Car and Driver article specifically mentioned this aspect. It also rides better and handles as well as my Audi TT, and my Neuspeed/Koni equpped Jetta. An amazing compromise.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Re: 337 Owners: How's the ride on bad roads? (mas337)

quote:[HR][/HR]Ain't that the truth. Of course visiting Philly would probably leave you without wheels, stereo, or quite frankly a car after it's stolen. Unless it gets banged up on the street too bad first and no one wants to steal it
[HR][/HR]​
Hmm...i wouldn't go that far dude. In ANY city you go to you run into a chance like that. I was just talking about the pot holes. Actually auto theft in center city Philadelphia is not bad at all. you'll probably have more cars stolen in one night in the burbs than in Center City Philly.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: 337 Owners: How's the ride on bad roads? (Racewagon)

quote:[HR][/HR]It all depends wher you're coming from - it rides *amazingly* well compared to many other high performance rides - the Car and Driver article specifically mentioned this aspect. It also rides better and handles as well as my Audi TT, and my Neuspeed/Koni equpped Jetta. An amazing compromise. [HR][/HR]​
Thanks- sounds good Racewagon. I read that in the C & D article as well, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Now, if the car would somehow show up on my driveway...

·
Registered
29 Posts

Actually, it rides very well compared to my Camaro. My ass doesn't hurt when I get out of the 337

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: 337 Owners: How's the ride on bad roads? (phollens)

Hey, that's always a good sign!

·
Registered
113 Posts

I can be a bit rough, but thank goodness for the Recaros. They seem to help a bunch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts