VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
10,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so its like a hi of 5 degs today here in boston....
its gonna be a low of -5 tonight, and I've been noticing my car takes an xtra turn to get started....totally expected the battery much be drained after sitting in that cold.
but the only thing that is really effectted is my tranny! the clutch is hard and slow (prob casued my fridged hydrolic fluid in the clutch) and the shifts are notchy and on the verge of grinding in any gear! prob cause the syncros are almost dry and the trans fluid is so thick that they aren't gettin covered....
anybody else have these issues? I know they are not bad but just seeing the general concencous???

· Registered
2,303 Posts
Re: 337 + REALLY REALLY COLD (protijy337)

Same thing for me this morning, but the temp was probably closer to -10 or -15 below Zero...I live near Burlington, Vermont...Took an extra second to turn over, but it did
Shifting was hard as well, just had to get her out on the open road and warm up that motor, things were a little better by the time I got to work

· Registered
1,243 Posts
Re: 337 + REALLY REALLY COLD (HardIce2447)

Not really any probs with the cold weather because I keep the 337 in the garage as much as I can.
Hey protijy337 was that you this AM on 128 North? There was a 337 that passed me in my truck, and I don't really see to many of them around

· Registered
12,007 Posts
Last week got down to -20 in some places around my area. I was dumb enough to go snowboarding in those temps in the backcountry.
I've been running Mobil1 0W-40 motor oil in my car. Frigid cold starts are actually easy since the motor oil is like water. It also warms up faster which is better protection against engine wear. My clutch and brakes have also been effected. Probably the strangest thing to happen is that my car got a CEL when it was far below freezing. We've had lots of snow/ice so my driving habits have dramatically changed. I think the ECU picked up the change (lower revs, little to no boost most of the time, tends to run richer, traction control is ALWAYS kicking on, etc) and threw a CEL. The ECU learns how you drive the car and adapts. I think a big change in driving habits can "confuse" the ECU. My CEL eventually turned off after finally driving the harder on the freeway last week.
I've also been told that little things associated with the cold can throw a CEL. Snow/ice can get on the oxygen sensor (or other sensors) which doesn't allow it to warm up fast enough for proper operation. The increase in air density can cause the fuel system to work overtime.

· Registered
348 Posts
Re: (Uberhare)

Real cold here in NY and I got that same tranny problem...except when i press the clutch to first start the car the clutch just gets stuck down!
I just pull it up with my toe and start it again. But wtf? I was thinking that the hydraulic fluid may have some moisture in it that freezes up? Really wish I had a garage man...anyways, just got my car like 3 weeks ago for massgti337 and I LOVE IT! Still waiting for license plates to fully drive it everyday, tired of seeing it sit in the driveway every morning. Anyway, I was thinking maybe taking the car to the dealer about the clutch problem, but they'll prolly just ******* off and tell me that the car is fine. Hopefully I can develop my own solution.

· Registered
863 Posts

pro.. no problems here about starting but then again mine is in a garage. but i feel you on the tranny. on my way home today it was real stiff, had to actually take my time and make sure not to grind any gears

· Registered
4,008 Posts
Re: (Soccerji)

Quote, originally posted by Soccerji »
The further you go north the worst it gets, representing Montreal here, Land of the Free...ze

NS here and yes it was VERY cold today. -21C or -35C with windchill. Starts like a charm, but, yes, the clutch and shifter are stiff.
Btw, soccerji, where did you get that signature? That's the exact conversation I had with a guy the day I picked up my GTI.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
2,757 Posts

Welcome to driving in Minnesota winters

Quote, originally posted by protijy337 »
so its like a hi of 5 degs today here in boston....
its gonna be a low of -5 tonight, and I've been noticing my car takes an xtra turn to get started....totally expected the battery much be drained after sitting in that cold.
but the only thing that is really effectted is my tranny! the clutch is hard and slow (prob casued my fridged hydrolic fluid in the clutch) and the shifts are notchy and on the verge of grinding in any gear! prob cause the syncros are almost dry and the trans fluid is so thick that they aren't gettin covered....
anybody else have these issues? I know they are not bad but just seeing the general concencous???

· Registered
5,843 Posts

I haven't had any problems except the Monsoon not putting out any bass, but I figure it's cause the amp is probably freezing cold and needs time to warm up. Very strange though if you ask me. Other than that, she LOVES the cold weather heh. Throttle response and acceleration is quite nice

· Registered
98 Posts
Same problem here North of Bean town. My check engine light or MIL came on and wont shut off. Hope its because of the frigid temp. It usually resides in my garage but a door spring blow out and wont be fixed till Friday. My baby will freeze for a couple.

· Registered
952 Posts
Re: (GreenHornetvr6)

Quote, originally posted by GreenHornetvr6 »
when i press the clutch to first start the car the clutch just gets stuck down!
I just pull it up with my toe and start it again. But wtf?

I don't have this problem with my 337, but I used to get it ALL THE TIME in my beetle. Every time it got to be colder than -20C, this would happen. I noticed that letting the car warm up for about five more minutes than usual helped a bit. Also, pumping the clutch pedal a little bit before completely depressing it used to ease up on the sticking as well.
I brought the car to the stealership to address the problem once, they just told me that it was winter out.

I just dealt with it from then on, but I once had it stick down while I was stuck in traffic.......that was fun!

· Registered
14,449 Posts

No probs starting, but until the car warms up, the clutch is nearly useless and shifting is a biotch. This cold sucks. Out furnace died again this morning. Great. Coldest night in 20 years.....

· Registered
805 Posts
Re: (GreenHornetvr6)

Quote, originally posted by GreenHornetvr6 »
Real cold here in NY and I got that same tranny problem...except when i press the clutch to first start the car the clutch just gets stuck down!

I have the same problem, but it goes away after the car warms up.

· Registered
208 Posts
Re: (Boston20th)

i got the same thing this morning when it was -8F, car stumbled a fair amount and was generally not happy and now the MIL has stayed on and i had an 18 mile highway drive to work to warm it up. gotta vag it tonite and see what it says. strange thing is yesterday when it was -17F, the car was fine other than the slow clutch return and shifting.

· Registered
85 Posts
Re: (vwk2)

I live in Southern VT and I keep my car in a garage. I was getting some rough shifting almost clunky. My brakes were also stiff.
I work at a Ski resort and the temp at the summit is -35 thats before windchill!!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.