VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you might say I'm out of the loop. I "discovered" the 337 this afternoon on ebay while searching for a GTI 1.8T. I've driven Turbo-charged Saabs all my life and I love them to death but I'm looking for something more reliable yet still quick. Having driven Turbos, I refuse to go back to normally aspirated. Just so boring.
So anyways, I need some expert info on the 337. I've read the differences from the stock GTI and read the comparos. Obviously the 337 is a sweet machine, but how is it in terms of reliability? I read about the coils blowing on this forum...Is this a normal 337 problem or only when you boost the output higher? And will this happen on a stock GTI 1.8T as well?
I also saw a post asking about the life of a 337 and saw what surprised me as most responses sounded like it would be well under 100,000 miles. Granted, this car is made purely for performance as I'm quickly learning, but will its lifetime really be this short? If I'm expecting to be somewhat poor the next 5 years (student moving out of parents' home) should I steer clear of the 337 and go with a stock GTI?
If I could get some responses, that would be great. Thanks in advance for anyone who feels the need to fill in this poor, disadvantaged soul who until today, knew not what a 337 was other than a number. Thanks guys and gals.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Re: 337 vs. stock GTI (saabavalanche)

Hope this helps,
Apart from the comsmetic differences you read about and the 6 speed trans, the 337 and the "regular" GTI are the same cars, same engine, same HP. The coil issue, this is not only VW related but also for AUDI, it's a factory problem, they have newupdated coils so if you should ever have a problem it would be fixed under warranty. As for the 100,000 mile, the car will last you a really long time if you take care or it, if you chip it and turn up the boost a bit as long as you take care of it it will last. If you toy around and try to do extreme mods then obviously your car's life will be short. There are people on here with daily driven GTi's with stage 3 turbo kits, (262 WHP) and the car is still reliable. Get the car you wont be dissapointed unless the person who had it before you was beating the poop out of it...thats my opinion.

[Modified by IMZ14U337, 9:21 PM 1-27-2003]

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Re: 337 vs. stock GTI (IMZ14U337)

quote:[HR][/HR]Get the car you wont be dissapointed unless the person who had it before you was beating the poop out of it...thats my opinion.
[Modified by IMZ14U337, 9:21 PM 1-27-2003][HR][/HR]​
Yeah, what he said. Just makes sure that the first owner was not thrashing his/her car at every stoplight. The engine is basically the same as offered in regular GTI's, Jettas, Passat's and Audi A4's. So it is not a high-strung engine and is designed to last as long as it is properly maintained and cared for. It's a ton of fun to drive and even if you are going to be poor for the next 5 years as you say, the powertrain warranty on the 337 runs for 5 years and 60k miles so as long as you don't drive 30k miles a year, you shouldn't have to worry about anything other than regular maintenance for quite a while. Good luck. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
5,813 Posts
Re: 337 vs. stock GTI (rexxmann)

quote:[HR][/HR]
Yeah, what he said. Just makes sure that the first owner was not thrashing his/her car at every stoplight. [HR][/HR]​
What are the chances of that with this car?

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
Re: 337 vs. stock GTI (saabavalanche)

If you have any worries about the previous owner, then skip a used 337 alltogether (unless you must have the silver one) and wait for a 20th AE, in will have everthing that the 337 has plus sunroof. the coilpack issue is hit or miss with the GTI and yes all GTI 1.8Ts (337 included) are vunerable to it.

·
Banned
5,813 Posts
Re: 337 vs. stock GTI (TreyS)

quote:[HR][/HR]Get the 20th Anniversary Edition!!

Comes in Black and Blue too. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
[HR][/HR]​
Man...that's so much nicer than Silver!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Re: 337 vs. stock GTI (Integrale)

quote:[HR][/HR]
Yeah, what he said. Just makes sure that the first owner was not thrashing his/her car at every stoplight.
What are the chances of that with this car?[HR][/HR]​
Well...I don't thrash my 337...but then again I also don't plan on replacing it anytime soon so it maybe that any 337's already up for sale have spent their first few thousand miles bouncing off the rev-limiter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.