VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Needed to drop the rear Beam to replace the bushings, which led to painting the Beam. With that out of the way it was time to remove and repaint the old Gillet exhaust center section. The only thing left under there was the Tank that I have been scared to look into. I pulled the Filter and saw some black gunk, so it was time to pull the tank. After flushing it several times with gas there seems to be very little sludge left, but I want to take it somewhere to have it evaluated.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Wow, the tank looks brand new!

Please elaborate: who, what, where, how, and how much?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Great cleaning job on the tank, Did you find any rubbery chunky bits coming out of the tank before sending it for dipping ? The hole at the base of the surge tank which is covered by the filter element should have a large rubberised plug sealing the bottom hole ( fuel ony enters the surge box via the flap doors ) Over time the rubber deteriorates, clogging the system and allowing fuel to come into the surge box without passing through the mesh screen filter .

^underneath view -you can see where the suction line that goes to the pump should only be drawing fuel thats passed through the screen filter. Once the bottom seal has dissapeared it can suck anything from the bottom of the tank....:banghead:

^top view

I am sure it will still run, just gotta watch for crud going into the tank that can be sucked up by the pump.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Wow, the tank looks brand new!

Please elaborate: who, what, where, how, and how much?
L & M Stripping

http://www.lmstripping.com/

Tank was dipped in Muriatic acid (industrial) Pressure washed and Neutralized.

Cost, almost same as new "not as good incorrect" tank - $100.00

I toyed with doing it myself with acid or vinegar but my brain clicked in and said no - stop ;)
I don't want to take this thing out again (get it done right) and I didn't want caustic chemicals splashing around.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 · (Edited)
Thank you Roccodingo!

"Great cleaning job on the tank, Did you find any rubbery chunky bits coming out of the tank before sending it for dipping ? The hole at the base of the surge tank which is covered by the filter element should have a large rubberised plug sealing the bottom hole ( fuel ony enters the surge box via the flap doors ) Over time the rubber deteriorates, clogging the system and allowing fuel to come into the surge box without passing through the mesh screen filter"

Well, that answers my question. What is this crap and where did it come from. Thank you Roccodingo!

Now I have to figure out a way to get the Filter to work.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Painted the tank.

But still trying to figure out what to do about the missing in tank filter rubber plug?
Tank looks good. Had a close inspection of the pic I posted with that rubber plug, it. Has a
Part number on it but cant make out the digits. ETKA was no help either. Other issue if one
was available would be getting the thing in the right place in the tank :(

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
I haven't had any right turn cutting out problems yet (knock wood), but when I do, I plan to have the tank cleaned and neutralized like Brian did, cut a large section out of the top, rebuild the baffle box from scratch if necessary, and have a pro welder TIG the access hole shut. All this because AFAIK the aftermarket Mk1 tanks don't have the baffle box, so IMO they would be better with an in-tank pump and the little header/feeder tank/filter that later CIS cars have.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ours did not. One set was shot after 600 km, the other one after 2000 km. Friends and other guys in the german Sciroccoforum report the same issues.
They are not the "old" ones which had a golden surface and Febi Bilstein written on it, these actual silver ones only have Febi written on it. These "new" ones seem to be crap using the former quality trademark name Febi.

The OEM quality Sachs from VW Classicparts still look good, almost 20.000 km on it.

Anyhow, maybe you are lucky.

Some guys simply buy these exhaust rubber straps:

Dimensions:45 x 69 x14 mm
Opel, FIAT, SEAT
OE Referencenumbers: 4387294, SE138115514A, 1473296, 1134920082, 852707, 852712, 8952181
EAN: 0741187265140

and do that:

Works just fine, even for track (ab)use.

greets
Lars

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
Oooh! I like that strut mount fix!

I have a couple of cars that still need the fix, can you post a link where you got them, Brian?

61 - 80 of 99 Posts