VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Golf GTI 2.slow, 2000 Beetle GLS 2.slower, 2001 Golf GTI 1.8t
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3D printers are becoming more accessible to the average consumer, coming down in both price and learning curve. I personally think it's a fun hobby and I like to see new and affordable DIY mods (big or small) for our generation cars using this technology.

Post a picture of something you printed or a link to a model that you'd like to share! This way, you can actively help others retrofit their cars with DIY printed upgrades.
Don't have a printer? Suggest an idea and maybe a stray CAD modeler can fulfil your request.

I'll get the thread started with a short list of models I've made (and are free to download):
Coil Pack Adapter for Volkswagen and Audi
Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle

Angled Dash Kit for ATOTO head unit and Volkswagen MKIV
Car Gear shift Plant Motor vehicle Steering part

Grill Badge Emblem for Volkswagen MKIV Jetta
Rectangle Sleeve Font Symbol Graphics

Grill Badge Emblem for Volkswagen MKIV Golf
Wheel Grille Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Aftermarket Shift Knob Adapter for Volkswagen MKIV Golf
Product Sunglasses Cosmetics Material property Font

Sunroof Motor Cover Clip Repair Patch for Volkswagen MKIV
Netbook Communication Device Wood Portable communications device Rectangle

Sunroof Drain Tube Insert for Volkswagen MKIV/A4/B5
Finger Red Nail Material property Lipstick

Glove Box USB AUX Panel Mount Faceplate
Automotive tire Hood Car Automotive design Motor vehicle

Bushing Retention Clip for Volkswagen MKIV First Gear Getter
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Gas Auto part

Radiator Drain Lock for Volkswagen MKIV
Jaw Wood Automotive tire Art Gas

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Want to 3D print, but don't know where to get started? The Creality Ender 3 Pro is great entry level printer for $200 (if you wait for it to go on sale, you can nab it at MicroCenter for $100!) and it has a thriving community.

If you have a little more cash, the Prusa Mini and the Prusa i3 are both work horses with minimal maintenance.

Don't want a printer, but still want something printed? You'd be surprised where you can find them. Some local libraries have them. Universities usually have them if you're a student. You can even check out your local Makerspace/Hackerspace/FabLab and get involved with the community. Maybe a vortex member would be willing to print for you if you're local.

Of course, there's always online services which will print and ship such as Shapeways, Sculpteo, Protolabs, Hubs, and even JLCPCB (if you want to wait for shipping).

·
Registered
2014 DE GTI
1,148 Posts
Nice work!

I know nothing about this process, but are there plastics that are stronger than others that can be used in 3D printing? It would seem you might want something with extra strength for certain parts, or do you just over-engineer it?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a mixture of both. For example, the grill badges are a copy of the original design, but some of the clips have been elongated for rigidity.

The coil pack adapters have to withstand the high heat of the valve cover. In this case, I use a polycarbonate blend of filament which can take up to 110°C without deforming (engine operating temperature is 190F, or 88°C).

PETG is a good everyday filament which can handle moderate amounts of heat (won't warp inside a hot car like PLA). It's also resistant to most chemicals and easy to print. I've replaced all my functional prints with PETG.

I'd eventually like to print with Nylon. It's an overall high temperature resistant, chemical resistant, and impact resistant material. The only issue is that it's difficult to print with (heated chamber required), higher cost per roll, and emits gases at printing temperatures which can be detremiental to health.

A lot of the functional injected molded plastic pieces from the factory are either Nylon (intake runners, turbo inlet pipes, brake hose vacuum lines), polycarbonate, or TPU (polyurethane bumpers)

Manufacturers nowadays make any thermoplastic into filament rolls which can be obtained with relative ease. ABS, PETG, PLA, TPU, Nylon (PA6), and even filaments with chopped carbon fiber for additional rigidity.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Here's some others that are nice to have that I've found.

mk4 Vent Gauge Pod for 52mm gauges

mk4 GTI vent rings to help stopping the vents from drooping.

mk4 Seat handle/lever

mk4 seat adjuster

mk4 armrest delete

·
Registered
13 Posts
This skill will go from being "nice to have" to "essential" as the many plastic parts (especially interior trim parts) get crispy and are no longer available. I have repaired plastic parts with epoxy before, only to have them shatter in places where the epoxy isn't. It makes me afraid to do any work that involves removing parts of the interior.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Printed and painted some winter wheel caps.

It is important to chose the right plastic for the application. The heat inside the car and weight of the GPS caused the custom stand to lean over.

Those wheel caps are sick

·
Registered
Red 2002 VW Golf Mark 4 1.4E - Silver 2000 VW Golf Mark 4 1.9TDI 110
46 Posts
Aftermarket Shift Knob Adapter for Volkswagen MKIV Golf
Product Sunglasses Cosmetics Material property Font
I have been looking for an adapter everywhere, preferably something I can 3D Print rather then buy, especially since most of them dont fit my lever. I have the weird 23mm shifter in my Golf that even finding a picture online is rare. Seems like this is for the 12mm correct?

Camera accessory Gadget Font Tool Electronic device

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been looking for an adapter everywhere, preferably something I can 3D Print rather then buy, especially since most of them dont fit my lever. I have the weird 23mm shifter in my Golf that even finding a picture online is rare. Seems like this is for the 12mm correct?

View attachment 195264
Yeah it's for the 12mm shifter. Unfortunately the inner diameter is of the after market shift knob is 20mm, a bit too small to fit over the 23mm shifter.

I've already remodeled the entire aftermarket 20th shifter, and I could modify it to fit the 23mm shaft if you're okay with a fully 3D printed shift knob. You'd just need to buy the sticker that goes on top.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah it's for the 12mm shifter. Unfortunately the inner diameter is of the after market shift knob is 20mm, a bit too small to fit over the 23mm shifter.

I've already remodeled the entire aftermarket 20th shifter, and I could modify it to fit the 23mm shaft if you're okay with a fully 3D printed shift knob. You'd just need to buy the sticker that goes on top.
Highly doubt 3D Printing a whole shifter is a good idea, especially since my friend only prints PLA (No clue how strong that is). Also had an adapter in mind that would convert it into threaded to attach something like this.
Gear shift White Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

However I reckon it would end up being tall as hell. And dont even know if it would be possible seeing how its push down to reverse.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Highly doubt 3D Printing a whole shifter is a good idea, especially since my friend only prints PLA (No clue how strong that is). Also had an adapter in mind that would convert it into threaded to attach something like this.
View attachment 195274

However I reckon it would end up being tall as hell. And dont even know if it would be possible seeing how its push down to reverse.
It wouldn't be the entire shifter, just the shift knob which would slide over the existing shaft. Most of the force would be exerted on the shaft and not so much on the 3D printed part since it's just a cover. It would be as tall as the stock knob.

PLA wouldn't handle the heat of the car very well. It would have to be at least PETG or ABS.

You could probably do something like that photo, the push down to reverse mechanism is below the pivot ball (at least on my shifter) and shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It wouldn't be the entire shifter, just the shift knob which would slide over the existing shaft. Most of the force would be exerted on the shaft and not so much on the 3D printed part since it's just a cover. It would be as tall as the stock knob.

PLA wouldn't handle the heat of the car very well. It would have to be at least PETG or ABS.

You could probably do something like that photo, the push down to reverse mechanism is below the pivot ball (at least on my shifter) and shouldn't be an issue.
Looks like PLA print can handle up to 210C, highly doubt my shifter would exceed that.

Regarding the Shift thingy, dont you mean this by shift knob
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Gear shift Automotive tire Kitchen appliance

I currently have a Mugen shifter that already sanded down and ready to prime and paint (Cant really stick a Mugen logo in a Golf), its got a threaded base thingy so I wish for an adapter that would have a threaded end, and an end that would slide around the lever, compatible with my weird 23mm lever.

Cosmetics Automotive tire Household hardware Violet Cylinder

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
The glass transition temperature of PLA is around 60 deg. C. It can deform in a hot car when stress is place on it. (See my "Leaning Tower of Pisa" PLA printed GPS holder in an earlier post.)

If there is enough material in the knob, could it be possible to drill out the 20mm and re-tap to 23mm to fit on a 23mm shaft?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I love this thread.
Always wanted to get into it. Ive seen others make parts for cars for fitment then turn around and use stainless or whatever for the final piece.

At work, I did a capital project based on avoiding rapid prototype parts for a few projects we had in the pipeline. Thing was over $500k and huge. But it saved us so much money the last few years and its really cool to watch it work.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts