VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
Red 2002 VW Golf Mark 4 1.4E - Silver 2000 VW Golf Mark 4 1.9TDI 110
46 Posts
Aftermarket Shift Knob Adapter for Volkswagen MKIV Golf
Product Sunglasses Cosmetics Material property Font
I have been looking for an adapter everywhere, preferably something I can 3D Print rather then buy, especially since most of them dont fit my lever. I have the weird 23mm shifter in my Golf that even finding a picture online is rare. Seems like this is for the 12mm correct?

Camera accessory Gadget Font Tool Electronic device

· Registered
46 Posts
Yeah it's for the 12mm shifter. Unfortunately the inner diameter is of the after market shift knob is 20mm, a bit too small to fit over the 23mm shifter.

I've already remodeled the entire aftermarket 20th shifter, and I could modify it to fit the 23mm shaft if you're okay with a fully 3D printed shift knob. You'd just need to buy the sticker that goes on top.
Highly doubt 3D Printing a whole shifter is a good idea, especially since my friend only prints PLA (No clue how strong that is). Also had an adapter in mind that would convert it into threaded to attach something like this.
Gear shift White Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

However I reckon it would end up being tall as hell. And dont even know if it would be possible seeing how its push down to reverse.

· Registered
46 Posts
It wouldn't be the entire shifter, just the shift knob which would slide over the existing shaft. Most of the force would be exerted on the shaft and not so much on the 3D printed part since it's just a cover. It would be as tall as the stock knob.

PLA wouldn't handle the heat of the car very well. It would have to be at least PETG or ABS.

You could probably do something like that photo, the push down to reverse mechanism is below the pivot ball (at least on my shifter) and shouldn't be an issue.
Looks like PLA print can handle up to 210C, highly doubt my shifter would exceed that.

Regarding the Shift thingy, dont you mean this by shift knob
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Gear shift Automotive tire Kitchen appliance

I currently have a Mugen shifter that already sanded down and ready to prime and paint (Cant really stick a Mugen logo in a Golf), its got a threaded base thingy so I wish for an adapter that would have a threaded end, and an end that would slide around the lever, compatible with my weird 23mm lever.

Cosmetics Automotive tire Household hardware Violet Cylinder

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.