VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2002 2.0 new beetle. the 3rd tailight is currently out which is causing the car to not pass inspection

VW wants a tad too much to fix the problem in my opinion. I can get the part shipped to my door for $55 and VW wants $160 to fix the problem inc. parts and labor.
How difficult is the 3rd brake light assembly to replace? I searched but could not find any DIY entries for it. I'm hoping it is as easy as the rear wheel bearing I just did which was cake.
If anyone has any insight I would love to know.

Thanks,
Quentin

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Re: 3rd brake light out (dzhopa)

Wtf, from when are third brake lights required?
Anyway, it's pretty easy to do. Just open the trunk and take the plastic. I think there are couple Torx and then you just pull the panel off. You'll be able to see how to undo the light then. I did mine couple years ago and honestly don't remember what I did exactly. Hope that helps at least a little...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 3rd brake light out (r0nd3L)

Sounded redicioulous to me also... but it seems like they are saying theres some sort of module in that 3rd brake light that is causing the driver's side brake light to dim a little bit.
The replaced the recalled relay and a bulb or two to no avail.
Symptoms are --
Lghts on, brake pedal not depressed: driver's side tail light a bit dim but passenger's side is fine.
Lights on, brake depressed: driver's side tail light is dim, almost off, but passenger's is fine.
The 3rd brake light does not come on under any circumstances.
Should I go ahead and replace that 3rd brake light myself? Looks fairly straightforward and the part is cheap compared to the labor that VW wants to do it. Looks like all I should have to do is pop that panel off and go to town.. no surprises hopefully.
Another plus is they gave me a pro-rated inspection fee so basically I've already payed $25 of the inspection they completed so just gotta get the 3rd brake light fixed, pay another $5 for that part of the inspection and we're squared away.

Suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
169 Posts

I just replaced one last weekend. There are one or two screws (L and R or just R) in the spaces where you put your fingers to pull the hood down, depending on year. Then you gently pry the plastic cover off, it will just snap back in. Then you'll see 3 screws holding the brake light in place. There is one electrical connector.
Installation is reverse of removal, as they say. It's a 10 minute job if you know what you are doing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Got the part replaced easily.

Oddly enough it did not fix the entire problem I am having:
The 3rd brake light comes on just fine but the driver's side tail light goes out upon depressing the brake pedal.

Any suggestions?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.