VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so my wife has been driving my car for months now to keep miles off of it during my 80 mile daily commute. I drove it last night for the first time in over a week and I'm getting a very faint whine on 3rd gear when I lift and also right as the clutch is about to engage.
It's not that loud according to my wife and my co-worker (who knows some stuff about cars), but I of course noticed it. Anyone else had anything similar? It just sort of sounds like tire noise, but only in 3rd gear. It isn't duplicated in any other gear.
Has anyone had anything similar and should I be worried?
And don't get on me for searching. I did, but it's tough to find anything on a noise you're describing. Someone else has probably posted, but I'm calling it a whine. I don't know what they would call it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have the exact same thing. Its only in third and when i switch gears to third and let the clutch out or just lay off the gas in third. Just a wind down noise. I asked about it and nobody knew. I'll check back to see if you get some insight i'm curious too!

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (tumtum27)

Quote, originally posted by tumtum27 »
I have the exact same thing. Its only in third and when i switch gears to third and let the clutch out or just lay off the gas in third. Just a wind down noise. I asked about it and nobody knew. I'll check back to see if you get some insight i'm curious too!

Wow, lots of replies. I'd love to be not concerned about it, but I'd rather someone who knows way more than me listen to it and tell me in person just for my own good conscience. I like a good mechanical sound as well, as long as it's not hurting my car.
I have a stock flywheel, and the sound is a lot like the sound that reverse makes in manuals. That sort of extra whine that I always assumed was from the extra gear to make the car go backwards. I have to check the transmission oil at some point, but it's been cold and rainy and dark here by the time I get home from work and my weekends have been swamped lately. Does 3rd maybe sit a bit higher in the gearbox than the other gears and maybe it's not getting enough lubrication? Or I supposed it could actually be clutch, but that doesn't make sense for the fact that it's only in 3rd.
I've noticed, if I accelerate harder and let off, the sound is less. I don't know what the heck that could mean. Makes me feel a bit better that others actually are having this issue though.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: 3rd Gear Whine on Decel (biglouvw)

Quote, originally posted by biglouvw »
Change out the gear box oil. MT-90 took care of most the noise I was hearing.

Cool, I'll give that a try.
What kind of mileage do the other people having this sound have? I've got around 75K on mine.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Re: 3rd Gear Whine on Decel (napkinn)

I have 90,000 + miles on my O2M, whines in 3rd and 4th. Changed the tranny fluid to Mt-90 and it didn't do anything.
Good friend of mine used to work for a VW dealer and an aftermarket shop checked it out, nothing wrong with it that you can see/tell unless you want to tear the entire tranny down and do a full rebuild. $$$
I have about the same 80 miles a day to work too... I just deal with it and use the brakes more, much cheaper to replace than a clutch anyway.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Re: 3rd Gear Whine on Decel (napkinn)

Quote, originally posted by napkinn »

Cool, I'll give that a try.
What kind of mileage do the other people having this sound have? I've got around 75K on mine.

I've got about 75k on mine too.

Modified by 2002gti337af at 8:13 PM 12-25-2008

·
Registered
154 Posts
Super old thread! But I too had the whine on decel in 3rd for about a month on my VR. This morning on the way to work my trans completely blew, car starts and runs, goes into gear but when I realease the clutch to start moving just massive metal clunking and grinding starts happening. Sounds like a bunch of rocks banging around in there. Anyways I'd imagine I need a new trans. Anyone know any good places that sell rebuilds??

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have an answer!

Sup Vortex,
I had a similar issue with my 2004.5 GLI where it would wine in EVERY GEAR:banghead:, it was very bad. It is your mainshaft axle bearing which is making that whining noise on decel. This isn't anything to worry about but it certainly very annoying. Amazingly I was able to fix this by "Shimming" the axle bearing which is just underneath the black transmisson end cap on the behind the drivers side wheel.

To Shim Your Axle Bearing You Need:

Tranny Shim=Mfg Part#WHT001976 / ECS Part# ES#472632

Tranny End Cap=Mfg Part#02M301211B / ECS Part# ES#272449

Here's A Youtube Video Of The Install

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E75I24cGxQY

I was doubtful this was going to work but amazingly it compleatly fixed the whining noises. So what are you waiting for? GO DO IT!!!. :laugh:

Cheers:beer::beer::beer::beer:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sup Vortex,
I had a similar issue with my 2004.5 GLI where it would wine in EVERY GEAR:banghead:, it was very bad. It is your mainshaft axle bearing which is making that whining noise on decel. This isn't anything to worry about but it certainly very annoying. Amazingly I was able to fix this by "Shimming" the axle bearing which is just underneath the black transmisson end cap on the behind the drivers side wheel.

To Shim Your Axle Bearing You Need:

Tranny Shim=Mfg Part#WHT001976 / ECS Part# ES#472632

Tranny End Cap=Mfg Part#02M301211B / ECS Part# ES#272449

Here's A Youtube Video Of The Install

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E75I24cGxQY

I was doubtful this was going to work but amazingly it compleatly fixed the whining noises. So what are you waiting for? GO DO IT!!!. :laugh:

Cheers:beer::beer::beer::beer:
I just bought an 04.5 with 140K kms on it and it didn't come up on the inspection but has the same whine.

When you say this isn't anything to worry about does that mean I can keep driving it with no problems or will it eventually fail causing major damage? If its something that can easily be fixed now to prevent a complete rebuild I would rather do that then keep driving and having to spend $2000-$3000 on complete rebuild

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I would do two things.

Change transmission fluid. I used pencil syncromesh. There is a good diy for the 6 speed transmission fluid change.

The., do the shim thing like the guy posted. Again, there's a how to for it super easy quick thing to do. Parts you need only cost about 20 bucks. But you should be fine driving as is for a while. It's just an annoying noise.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.