VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Haven’t been around in a while but recently bought my favourite VW ever (even rivals my 68 Squareback I owned 20 years ago) after I blew up my B5.5 1.8t FWD wagon. This is number 30-ish for me because I’m clearly retarded 🤣
Anyways, she’s black-black-black and more black 07 4-Mo Wagon. Bought from original owner a couple months ago with only 108,000 km’s on her. KW SHS coilovers, 18” BBS RS-GT wheels, Haldex controller, interior still smells brand new. This car is damn near brand new.
Anyways, need some exhaust advice. Had her in at the local muffler shop for the “must-do” suitcase delete on Saturday. Found out the front section of the exhaust (with the flex pipes/cats) has a leak and it’s getting worse.

I am not afraid of pooching the cats or resonators, but what are the options? I’m looking at $1800 CDN plus install for factory stuff but what about headers/cat delete pipe?

I’m not the officionado of B6’s. Could use some input.

I’ve been looking for this car for a very long time and now I have my “unicorn”. I don’t drive it much, but not against spending a few bucks and making a little more noise.

What options do I have?

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Welcome! These are definitely special cars, without a real equivalent on the market today outside of an E-class wagon.

I'm almost certain that you won't find any aftermarket parts since the car is so old and unusual. A good exhaust shop should be able to put something together for you, but I'd highly recommend keeping the cats. For one they do an important job and two you'd need a custom tune to avoid a constant CEL from the missing emissions equipment.

Check the link in my sig, there's more info on exhaust upgrades in there.

Good luck!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Look up part # 561-254-500-D, it's for the 2018 North American 3.6 VR6 FWD Passat. It'll fit yours whether it's FWD or 4Motion, it doesn't require a core and it was significantly cheaper than the B6 3.6 part number. I just did this same thing.

The labor is a lot, you've got to take the driveshaft off, heat shields, fender liner, intake manifold, etc.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Wood Metalworking hand tool
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Auto part Gas

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Look up part # 561-254-500-D, it's for the 2018 North American 3.6 VR6 FWD Passat. It'll fit yours whether it's FWD or 4Motion, it doesn't require a core and it was significantly cheaper than the B6 3.6 part number. I just did this same thing.

The labor is a lot, you've got to take the driveshaft off, heat shields, fender liner, intake manifold, etc.

View attachment 141276 View attachment 141277
Looks like I'm not the only one in this conundrum 🤣 I knew buying this car meant I'd be lighting my money on fire so I'm not surprised in the least and I'm prepared for it. Thanks a lot for your help! I'll call the stealership tomorrow to see how bad they're going to rape my wallet.

And thanks too jddaigle. I had cruised through that faq for hours and hours while my car was on a train to get here. Lots of awesome info. I did actually get HPA (they're 5 minutes from my house) to do a "stage 1" tune on it and code out the rear O2 sensors as one of mine had failed. Pretty sure the reason why my exhaust is leaking is the PO couldn't get the O2 out and damaged the exhaust trying. Oh well... can't justify spending north of $5000 on a full Supersprint exhaust, plus my days of "loud and obnoxious are priority #1" are long gone, so it looks like factory ****e is going back in.

Thanks again guys 👍

·
Registered
B6 4mo | fc3 Si
7,868 Posts

Thank for that info. OP im in the same boat. I have removed the 2nd cats and res's and i hate it. the rasp is brutal. do not do it.

and FYI your old cats are worth about $500 I sold a old downpipe in the summer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I did a bunch of looking through the info threads and from what I have read the exhaust manifolds/downpipes/link pipes (aside from o2 sensor locations) are the same between the mk5 R32 and our beloved 4-mo VR6's.
Found this guy who hand builds these downpipes and cat sections in the UK for MUCH less than Milltek or Supersprint. I think I read this kit is a direct "copy" of Milltek's setup.
The R32 stainless performance downpipes with 2 high-flow cats and link pipe is a hell of a lot cheaper than the stock 4-mo stuff too. The guy who makes this kit got back to me right away with a quote with shipping etc. Solid dude 👍
Unless I misread something (regarding interchangeability) I'm going to pull the trigger and get this on it's way before my car starts sounding like a tank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts