VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Re: (valvesprung)

Heck, I offroaded in my '94 saturn... you should have seen the looks the CJ5 on 33's owner was giving me as he passed me. And the look his girlfriend was giving him...

·
Registered
10,117 Posts
Re: (macosxuser)

I offroaded with my 82 diesel Jetta, seriously. I took a wrong turn onto what turned into a fire road and ended up at the bottom of a very big hill axle-deep in mud and surrounded by big rocks.
Fortunately the car weighed practically nothing, I had winter tires on and the little diesel produced lots (relatively speaking) of low-rpm torque. With the help of a spotter I crawled from rock to rock so as to avoid sinking into the soft muck and made it all the way up the hill.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Re: (Old school)

I used to have a Type 181 Thing. While it was no rock crawler, it did surprisingly well off road, as did the original Kubelwagen.
As Gen Rommel once quipped, "Anywhere a camel can go, a Kubelwagen may follow." Or something like that.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
4-Motion & ORV Designated Roads

We've got plans to hit up a beach for spring break, but there are no roads. Accessible by ORV's only. Safe to assume most of the driving will be dirt roads & sand, not a lot of elevation changes. In any case, we have a r-line 4-motion with stock tires that we don't plan on swapping out any time soon. We're also traveling with a lifted 4Runner who could probably pull us out of rough spots. Thoughts?

Would we need to plan for an alternative trip???

·
Super Moderator
11,632 Posts
Sand is a tough animal, even more so on stock tires. Best bet is to air down, but you need a good compressor to get back to street pressure, not one of the cheapie $20 ones.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Huh, came to this section of the forum for a related tire question...
I have got to say though, our Tiguan has far more capability than I expected. The AWD system works much better than keyboard warriors will lead on. This car can drive through much worse low traction stuff (snow, ice, mud, loose gravel) than a 4wd truck with open diffs. I have dedicated snow tires on it through the winter, and it has plowed its way through some serious stuff, including getting the right tires off the road in just snow, while the left was on crunchy ice, it was able to claw out with minimal rocking. It is limited by ground clearance and tires though. I have easily gone up and over larger uneven turn-arounds with a tire off of the ground. That was with the stock Continentals too. I know it won't go wheeling like a locked up jeep, but for being a cute mommie-mobile it gets back to the campgrounds just fine.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts