VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the topic states, a local company wants to charge 80 hour for labor and I was quoted approximately 5 hours for a spring install....$400!!!!!Is this normal? I can remember paying a lot less for previous cars but I don't know anyone in my local area to do it.

· Registered
46,328 Posts
should take a shop 2hrs 400 is on the expensive side but ive seen worse. i wouldnt pay more 200-300. Check the regionals someone should be able to recommend a good shop in FL all the boys slam there cars, hell maybe you can pay someone to do it for you http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by absoluteczech at 8:37 AM 8-5-2008

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: $400 to install springs? (abe1.8t)

Thanks for the replies! I think I only paid a couple hundred for the install on my MKIV but that was a few years ago and that shop wasn't anywhere near where I am now. Well I'll post in the regionals! Thanks again.

· Registered
2,886 Posts
Re: $400 to install springs? (lps72pp)

Quote, originally posted by lps72pp »
Thanks for the replies! I think I only paid a couple hundred for the install on my MKIV but that was a few years ago and that shop wasn't anywhere near where I am now. Well I'll post in the regionals! Thanks again.

The MkIV is a MUCH easier install.

· Internet Lighting Police
9,505 Posts
It is so easy....

...for you guys to say "way to exensive" but the reality is that most shops will charge an hour per corner - if you know better, then give me the name of a shop in the OPs area that'll do it for less.
The fronts are a problem and everybody knows it.
Two guys, a case of beer, a set of rams and a hammer can do it in a few hours - but can they do it right.
Just check all of the "why am I clunking after install?" threads....

· Registered
956 Posts
On the mk4 it only cost me 300, but on the mk5 i know i am looking at about 400. Are you by chance taking it to Fixx Tuning in Pinellas Park? If so, they are top notch, great guys and really know their way around. They will do a good job, and they stand by their work, which is beginning to get rare...

· Registered
956 Posts
its a dealer to dealer kind of thing. I know one of the mechanics near me that wouldn't have a problem doing it, but i've heard horror stories about stuff like that. PS dealer was fine doing underdrive pullies in the vr6. If only all dealers were so cool!

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (housmaar)

Quote, originally posted by housmaar »
On the mk4 it only cost me 300, but on the mk5 i know i am looking at about 400. Are you by chance taking it to Fixx Tuning in Pinellas Park? If so, they are top notch, great guys and really know their way around. They will do a good job, and they stand by their work, which is beginning to get rare...

Yes I actually am talking about Fixx and I know they will do a good job but it just seemed a bit expensive so I was looking for some other people's experiences and an idea of how much it should be. I appreciate everyone's responses though!

· Registered
956 Posts
if you want to see if you can get a deal, head over to the VW dealer in St. Pete (i think Lokey?) and talk to Billy, he used to be the lead mechanic at Fixx, and i'm sure you get him to do it for a bit less, i know he was doing traveling work for a while, so even if its off company time, i'm sure he could help you out.
Ryan

· Internet Lighting Police
9,505 Posts
Is that who did yours????

Quote, originally posted by MattWayMK5 »
Meineke by me does it for like $150 bucks so i def think you can get it done cheeper

...or are you just guessing by the normal shock install price.
I really wish that people would quit speculating about things they know nothing about.
Everybody knows somebody who got a MK V spring install for $4.95 and are quick to say "it is too expensive, you can get it cheeper [sic]" but nobody says "see Joe at XYZ tuning and he'll hook you up for $250."
Don't forget that you need an alignment too....

· Registered
2,371 Posts
Re: Is that who did yours???? (cb1111)

Quote, originally posted by cb1111 »

...or are you just guessing by the normal shock install price.
I really wish that people would quit speculating about things they know nothing about.
Everybody knows somebody who got a MK V spring install for $4.95 and are quick to say "it is too expensive, you can get it cheeper [sic]" but nobody says "see Joe at XYZ tuning and he'll hook you up for $250."
Don't forget that you need an alignment too....

Yea im speculating about the 4 people i know that have had it done there.
Either way im just tryin to show the OP that $400 is a lot for a coil install when obviously everyone on this topic has gotten it done for cheeper than that. Espec the one who got it done at the dealer

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.