VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 SportWagen SE was placed in service in May 2017. Odometer is now at 33,000 miles and was due for the annual oil change in late January. Pandemic era driving has been very limited but I know it should go to the dealer. Anything I should insist upon or forbid them from doing?
Many thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not there yet with mileage but still a 2017. I'll have to look at the service records when I get home, but I believe all fluids have been changed out by now due to time not mileage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Services are eery year or 10k miles. There is no "45 month" service. When was your last service and at what mileage?
Thanks. Yes, I know that. I suspect the sales rep fat-fingered meaning to say 48 months / 4 years.
Last service / oil change was late January 2020 at 30,000. Currrent odometer reading is 34,000.
I made an appointment for next week but am still curious as to what they might suggest that really is not necessary.

·
Registered
840 Posts
brake fluid is changed on time, and you're probably there (I think the interval bounced around a bit, but I believe it's 3 years). If it hasn't been done yet, it will likely come up.

Personally, I'd chance the transmission fluid, particularly if it's an automatic. The first change is the most important once, since move the the wear metals occur early on.

·
Internet Lighting Police
9,498 Posts
Thanks. Yes, I know that. I suspect the sales rep fat-fingered meaning to say 48 months / 4 years.
Last service / oil change was late January 2020 at 30,000. Currrent odometer reading is 34,000.
I made an appointment for next week but am still curious as to what they might suggest that really is not necessary.
They will suggest a boatload of "recommended" services that are a money grab. Plug your VIN in here and see what the required maintenance from VW is.

Me? I'd find a good local indy. The 40k (or 4 year) service is an oil/filter change, brake fluid change and new spark plugs. There are also a handful of "enhanced checks". The dealer will vacuum your wallet but a decent local indy will be far more reasonable.

Oh, and I'd bet that the dealer didn't fat finger anything. I'll bet a dollar to a hole in a donut that the dealer's recommended services is every 5000 miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.