VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Chingesu! That’s a tight squeeze. Do you have to rappel in through the sunroof?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha! Almost! There is enough room for me to squeeze into the driver seat. I just make sure I park it as close as possible to the right side of the garage! But hoping one of this days, I get to have a chance for a 2 car detached out in our backyard! Hehe

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
171k miles.

Rear brakes replaced. Suppose it was time at 100k on them. Went with brembos

Rear diff fluid
Haldex service done too

Rear hubs those were due too. They were originals.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Another productive weekend. Still at 171k

DSG service done
Front diff serviced
Oil change done
RF inner joint was leaking, sorted that out and cleaned the mess.
Replaced the front hubs.

That was not a pleasant experience… RF was totally seized in the knuckle. My hammer assortments weren’t enough to get it out. The actual wheel hub came off after a couple swings, a big departure from how easy the rears were. Had to use a grinder to get it to come out finally. LF was a breeze by comparison but also came out in pieces.
I also ended up replacing the front links since one was leaking.

“Should” be good for a while. But looks like front brakes are coming up in the next year or so.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
175k and I replaced the front brakes with some brembo units. Had a bit of an issue with the pads that Brembo says are “supposed” to fit. It seems like they just carried over the vehicle applications and they really didn’t fit properly. After some research I reached back out to Brembo and we got some testers that fit the way they were supposed to.

The wrong ones.
No provision for the rattle spring

The right ones:

The gouges are from the old clips making their exit while the car was in motion. Good stuff!

Ended up ordering P85084N and the fitment was as it should.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
New issue that came up is that after a while of driving 45 mins and up, the idle kicks up and it seems the cooling system is doing what it can to keep it cool. I noticed that the temp needle almost totally moved off of 190*, once I applied throttle the needle moved back down.
Time to see if the tstat is working right or if it’s the water pump.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
178k.
Got all the work done I needed to get done last night which was a challenge with a spot of bronchitis and my asthma running together.
The rear inner boots were a little different but nothing too bad. Shocks and struts were shot, replaced them with another set of Koni special actives along with them a set of 034 upper bushings and bearings. Also banged out the rear control arms. Which I forgot there was 4 links, not 3. So the kit I got from FCP euro wasn’t as complete as I would have liked. It needs tie rods to be a complete rebuild kit.

Today got some tires put on, Conti pure contact touring tires and an alignment.

Got to take her on a shake down and check as needed.

Once I get more energy I’ll post up the rear inner axle disassembly and reassembly.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 · (Edited)
Also, I was greeted by VWs troll on the LR control arm. To get one bolt out you have to drop the rear exhaust. I don’t think I’ve ever said fking VW doing a repair, but seriously on that one. Fking VW

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
We’ll, I’ve got a heck of knock from the front, leaning towards a bad set of struts since I’ve checked and double checked everything with the suspension loaded and still no better. Dang it!

121 - 133 of 133 Posts