VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 256 Posts

·
Registered
2019 VW Atlas SEL (current); 2019 VW Tiguan SEL-P R Line (traded in); 2005.5 Jetta (sold)
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
4B module & AFS lighting options questions

For those of us that have played around with 4B and the options available for enhancing the AFS lighting under Long Coding, hoping someone can shed some light on some of the options and what they’re doing/function:

Byte 10:

When headlight regulation was turned off in module 55 in the past, does anyone know how bit 0 in Byte 10 impacts these available settings when enabled? Since it appears it cannot be disabled?

Byte 11:

What is dynamical low beam light enabled doing when enabled?

Byte 12:

What does segmented cornering light, enabled do when enabled? Especially if one has enabled Intersection light with route data.

How does bit 3 under Byte 10 interact with bit 6 under Byte 12 when bit 6 is enabled?

Does this change the at what speed highway light is activated?

It appears in newer platforms such as the Arteon and 2019 Tiguan the speed at which one wants to activate the highway lights cannot be changed. Therefore is there a relation in speed between these bits and also with what light regulation in the drop down for bits 0-2 under Byte 12. The Arteon is FMVSS, while the Tiguan is ECE48 and does this play a role in speed threshold for activation? Since these regulations (U.S.A. vs EU) relates to visibility angles and photometric angles.

For those with the Arteon it appears that DLA may be possible from what sdvolksGTI found under the Basic Settings function in module 4B. This I cannot confirm as I know the 2019 Tiguan does not have the necessary hardware for DLA. I plan to look at what is presented in Basic Settings with VCDS to see if the listing sdvolksGTI found is just a generic listing due to the vehicles being the MQB platform and just part of coding options available.

Maybe someone can confirm the part number if there is a true difference between the EU version of the Arteon and the NAR Arteon?

For reference on my 2019 Tiguan SEL-P R-Line (NAR model) I enabled the following, and I know others with their Arteon’s have done the same/similar with varying results.

Byte 10

Enabled City light and Rain light

Byte 11

Predictive route data
Intersection light with route data
Predictive AFS enabled
Dynamical low beam light (appears to vary the intensity?)
High beam assistance

Byte 12

Segmented cornering light
Highway light

Thanks for those that can shed some light on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 VW Atlas SEL (current); 2019 VW Tiguan SEL-P R Line (traded in); 2005.5 Jetta (sold)
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you selected Matrix from the drop down did those windows come up automatically?

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know with MK7 Golf GTI for greater AFS capabilities people would remove NAR restrictions in module 55 and then enable some of the options available.

By chance anyone go into 4B and disable Headlight regulation and leave it off?

I saw the same error as seen in the video, but messing around the first time I re-enabled before doing basic settings. As you can imagine first time in something as important as your headlights you’re somewhat in a panic wanting to fix it.

Here’s a link to similar disabling of restrictions when this was in module 55.

https://youtu.be/9XUnNbKHx6c

Wanted to know if someone has tried disabling headlight restrictions and kept it disabled with no issues after recalibrating and what difference seen?

I don’t have access to my vehicle at the moment, so unable to test.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

Car didn’t like that

Did you run basic settings after making that change to see if it cleared all those errors? That’s what I saw when I unchecked Headlight regulation when I first made my changes and instead of being calm, I panicked and re-enabled and then ran basic settings. I didn’t leave it unchecked and run basic settings to see if cleared those errors. Also since you unchecked Byte 9 bit 0 to set to ECE, did you go to Byte 12(?) and change your drop down from FMVSS to ECE48? Wonder if having those matched would help.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Did you run basic settings after making that change to see if it cleared all those errors? That’s what I saw when I unchecked Headlight regulation when I first made my changes and instead of being calm, I panicked and re-enabled and then ran basic settings. I didn’t leave it unchecked and run basic settings to see if cleared those errors. Also since you unchecked Byte 9 bit 0 to set to ECE, did you go to Byte 12(?) and change your drop down from FMVSS to ECE48? Wonder if having those matched would help.

I did do basic setting after I unchecked it. I unhooked the VCDS, and locked the car. I remote started and the DRLs didn't come on, opened the door and the low beams came on and started it. And all the warning light showed up.
I will try changing both.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

SdvolksGTI I saw this and thought of you since it looks like you have DLA potentially. It’s a thread in the Australian Tiguan forum.

Dynamic Light Assist
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...ead.php?t=120920&share_type=t&link_source=app

Looks like someone named phonebooth figured it out.

Found that thread above from here:

my journey to activating DLA on a MY17 Tiguan
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...ead.php?t=128250&share_type=t&link_source=app

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still hoping someone can answer some of the questions I posted in the first post. Think knowing some of this and what you’re testing will help nail down coding.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Arteon SEL P DLA (OBD Eleven/ VCDS)

SdvolksGTI I saw this and thought of you since it looks like you have DLA potentially. It’s a thread in the Australian Tiguan forum.

Dynamic Light Assist
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...ead.php?t=120920&share_type=t&link_source=app

Looks like someone named phonebooth figured it out.

Found that thread above from here:

my journey to activating DLA on a MY17 Tiguan
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...ead.php?t=128250&share_type=t&link_source=app

Quote Originally Posted by phonebooth View Post
Here are the instructions I've sent to other users to get DLA working on a '19 Tiguan Highline. Credit to AS Coding @ www.ascoding.ch as my instructions are based on his/hers but with the required changes for the '19 Highline.

Sorry it's so long but I've documented each step I took in detail. Here we go...

Module 09 - Central Electrics

1. Connect OBD Eleven to your car.
2. Turn the ignition on, not the engine! These changes won't apply if the engine is on. I've tried it.
3. Go to central electrics module 09.
4. Select adaptions from the list.
5. Find "Fernlicht_Assistent" and go into that menu.
6. Change "Erweiterte Fernlichtsteuerung" to AFS FLA Fernlicht (GLW:MDF).
7. Change "Menusteuerung Fernlichtassistent" to present.
8. Change "Menusteuerung Fernlichtassistent Worksteinstellung" to present.
9. Save your adaptions using the green tick.

Module A5 - Front Sensor

1. Got to module A5 - Front Sensor.
2. From the list select "long coding".
3. At the top of the page click the little 0|1 to go into Byte/Bit format. VCDS you can already see this
4. Find byte 19. Change it to hex value 30. You can change the hex values by tapping on the hex value in the app.
5. Find byte 21. Change it to hex value 40.
6. Save your coding using the green tick.

Module 4B - Multifunction Module

1. Go to module 4B.
2. In the list, select long coding.
3. At the top of the page click the little 0|1 to go into Byte/Bit format. VCDS you can already see this
4. Go into byte 10. Tap the checkbox on bit 6 to enable it.
5. Use the green tick to save your adaptions.

BEFORE YOU GO ANY FURTHER...

1. Soft reset your head unit by holding the power button until the head unit powers down then powers back on. You can stop holding the power button when you see the VW logo appear.
2. On the head unit go to Menu > Vehicle > Factory Defaults > Lights

Running headlight basic settings

1. Go to module 4B.
2. From the list, select faults.
3. You will see a fault saying "No headlight basic setting" or similar.
4. Down the bottom of your phone screen you'll see a red circle with a trash can. Tap on hold on it. This will try to clear the fault. On mine, the fault didn't clear but this seems to be a mandatory step.
5. Get out of your car and ensure it's on level ground.
6. Go back to the module 4B main menu.
7. In the list of options go to "basic settings"
8. You'll get another list with some settings you can run.
9. Tap "Headlight basic settings".
10. Tap and hold the green tick at the bottom of your screen. You'll notice the headlights pivot out a tiny bit.
11. Go back to the basic settings menu. Select "acknowledge headlight basic settings" (or similar).
12. Tap and hold the green tick at the bottom of your screen. The headlights will pivot back to a "normal" position.
13. Go back to the module 4B main screen and go back into faults.
14. The headlight basic settings fault is still there. This is the moment of truth. Tap and hold the red circle again. Your headlights should dance and the fault should clear.

Go back into the car and run your head unit reset and light factory default again just for good measure. Turn the ignition off, then back on. You should be fault free and enjoying DLA!

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you look at the long coding they change the entry in the fields above to 10 for byte 9 for the hex value.

I think this is what Savvv may have tried in his 2018 Tiguan, but looks like from the site successfully tried and works on the Arteon. I’ve also sent an email off asking if this can be done on the NAR model. Also going to confirm with Savvv if this is what he used when he tried on his Tiguan.

Will report back.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’m also wondering if we do have it, because some dealers if you look through the Australian threads, dealers say they don’t but people coded and found they do indeed have the hardware capable.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
If you look at the long coding they change the entry in the fields above to 10 for byte 9 for the hex value.

I think this is what Savvv may have tried in his 2018 Tiguan, but looks like from the site successfully tried and works on the Arteon. I’ve also sent an email off asking if this can be done on the NAR model. Also going to confirm with Savvv if this is what he used when he tried on his Tiguan.

Will report back.

It didn't like the change hex value to 10 from 31. It has an error and the outer beam doesn't come on. But this is the only thing I couldn't change

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I reached out to Savvv and these are the steps he followed for his 2018 Tiguan R-Line. He had errors after performing. I’m tempted to try on my 2019. I know him and I have NAR models, but I’ve noticed on the Australian forums dealers have told owners their lights don’t have DLA but have gone in, coded and works as intended.

I’ll go back to the VAG-COM forum to pull Savvv’s post as to errors he saw.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It didn't like the change hex value to 10 from 31. It has an error and the outer beam doesn't come on. But this is the only thing I couldn't change
What error did it throw if anything in VCDS?

Adrian from the coding site referenced got back (amazingly quick, wasn’t expecting same day), but said he couldn’t confirm on the Tiguan but said give it a try or just set alight Assist. I did reply and gave him the errors you saw sdvolksGTi, I’ll let you know what he says. Feel like we’re right there for those with an Arteon, even if it doesn’t work for a 2019 Tiguan, will be nice to see you guys get it working.

My attempt won’t be this week as wife will have the car and the kids while visiting her parents. I’m rocking the Volvo with some ****ty as lights. As a side note I’m wondering if the PIAA lights I purchased off Amazon for her S60 are knock offs. Not bright white as advertised and don’t seem to go out as far as advertised.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok starting at post #351, Savvv attempted this on his 2018 Tiguan. Now I received the same errors just by turning off headlight regulation and followed his steps to clear them out. So if you do get and see the same error you can revert back to default as long as one takes good notes.

Ross Tech Vag Com for 2018
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to....php?p=112942039&share_type=t&link_source=app

sdvolksGTi, you mentioned cornering lights not working is your AID showing the same error that Savvv saw when attempting? By chance did any manual selections done in Bytes 10, 11, & 12 change due to this coding? I’m wondering if we don’t truly know what segmented cornering means, what if you tried setting that back to default setting of unchecked and see if that fixes your cornering light issue? Just a thought.

Also does your startup sequence look like this now?

https://youtu.be/SlHpu5Q0Bp4

1 - 20 of 256 Posts