VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I replaced the trans in my 07 4mo wagon last summer, and ever since I've been wondering about the PTU and how the power is sent to the rear wheels. If you look at the PTU, you'll see that it bolts to the transmission where the right axle flange would be in a FWD model. What's confusing is that would be AFTER the differential. If this is in fact the case, we have one side of the diff powering the left wheel, and the other side going to the right wheel AND the rear wheels. This would also mean that if you lost traction to the front left wheel, that the rest of the wheels would see no power (assuming open diff, and no help from ABS).

Someone please tell me otherwise. I'd be very disappointed to learn that what I'm thinking is true, and it's the ABS controlling the wheel-slip of the front left wheel to maintain power transfer to the rear/front right. I'm half tempted to tear apart the bad trans to find out for myself, but spare time is few and far in-between.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeff, that was a great read. I was really hoping it wasn't configured how I thought

Reactions: jddaigle
1 - 3 of 3 Posts