VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any difference between Audi's Quattro system and VW's 4Motion, or is it simply a naming difference?
When the parts for the 4motion R32 become more available in NA, will many Golf owners upgrade to 4Motion? Would a Quattro system be interchangeable or easily modifiable to fit in a Mk4?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Re: 4Motion = Quattro ? (Vapormike)

4-motion is a Haldex operating system (more os less computer controlled)
Quattro is a Torsion system (All mechanically controlled)
Probably very expensive to interchange the two systems.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Re: 4Motion = Quattro ? (Vapormike)

From the way I understand it a 4Motion conversion wouldn't just be a simple drop in. There is some serious frame work involved and I would assume that the rear suspension would have to be considerably changed.
4Motion Golfs/Jettas have a fully independent rear setup which is necessary in order to accomodate the 4Motions setup.
It seems to me that with all the work involved in pulling something like this off you would be better suited to just buy a R32 when it becomes available.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Re: 4Motion = Quattro ? (redlands_gti)

quote:[HR][/HR]4-motion is a Haldex operating system (more os less computer controlled)
Quattro is a Torsion system (All mechanically controlled)
Probably very expensive to interchange the two systems.[HR][/HR]​
You are somewhat wrong in your statement.
4Motion is just VW's branding name whereas Quattro is Audi's branding name.
Golf/Jetta and I think the Audi TT too have the Haldex system mentioned above. Power is distributed per wheel as required, when a wheel slips or something.
Passat/A4 use the Torsen system, which is a permanent all wheel drive system.
I might not be 100% right on the technical details but thats pretty much the idea.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Re: 4Motion = Quattro ? (Boostin20v)

To purchase the compnoents to do the swap the price tag is $12,000 not including installation

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Re: 4Motion = Quattro ? (epunk)

they way i heard it was cars with transversely mounted engines have the Haldex system (whether they are Audi or VW) while those cars with longitudinally mounted engines use the Torsion system.

·
Registered
2018 Atlas R-Line; 2019 330xi M-Sport
32,693 Posts
Re: 4Motion = Quattro ? (ShockWaveVT)

Mk IV's use the Haldex system- this includes the TT as well as Skoda and Seat models. The B5.5 (Passat and A4) and all other Audis use the Torsion system. 4 Motion and Quattro are simply VW and Audi's names for the 4x4 systems in either brand's cars. From what I have read the Haldex system really isn't that great, because the 4x4 isn't always there, only when one wheel loses power, where as the Torsion system is full time 4x4. correct me if I'm wrong...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: 4Motion = Quattro ? (NoDubJustYet)

The Haldex Feels great when I drive it. However, it has just broken.........getting a new one on warranty. Must stop driving it soo hard

·
Banned
2,938 Posts
Re: 4Motion = Quattro ? (DivideBY0)

if you are realy interested in R32 4-motion contact http://www.TMtuning.com
they can get you any R32 parts for your mkIV. and there prices are much cheaper than american companies http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Re: 4Motion = Quattro ? (DivideBY0)

quote:[HR][/HR]The Haldex Feels great when I drive it. However, it has just broken.........getting a new one on warranty. Must stop driving it soo hard
[HR][/HR]​
Please elaborate on how you broke it. Is the Haldex system not working? Fried the clutch? Tranny is out? I'm curious to see any issues with Haldex, since the R32 will use the same Haldex system.

·
Registered
878 Posts
to restate and elaborate on what i had previously stated
4-motion is front wheel drive all of the time until the abs sensors (that computers that i had stated eariler) detect wheel spin. They detect it in like 1/1000 of a second, then the computer adjusts and puts the power to the other wheels.
Quattro is always putting power to all of the wheels through the Torsion differentials via worm gears. COMPLETELY mechanical. Always changing, always giving the wheels with the most traction the most power.
Hope this clears it up.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Re: 4Motion = Quattro ? (redlands_gti)

quote:[HR][/HR]to restate and elaborate on what i had previously stated
4-motion is front wheel drive all of the time until the abs sensors (that computers that i had stated eariler) detect wheel spin. They detect it in like 1/1000 of a second, then the computer adjusts and puts the power to the other wheels.
Quattro is always putting power to all of the wheels through the Torsion differentials via worm gears. COMPLETELY mechanical. Always changing, always giving the wheels with the most traction the most power.
Hope this clears it up.[HR][/HR]​
Again, this is not entirely true. Please re-read the posts from above. 4-Motion and Quattro are just VW's and Audi's branding name ONLY. You can have an Audi car using the Haldex system (the so-called FWD system you described above)... for example... the Audi TT uses Haldex, as well as Golfs and Jettas.
The Passat V6 and W8 has the Torsen system, just like most Audi's, which have the so-called permanent mechanical system you described too.
Please, once and for all, 4-Motion and Quattro are ONLY branding names, not a system!!!!!

·
Registered
2018 Atlas R-Line; 2019 330xi M-Sport
32,693 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Please, once and for all, 4-Motion and Quattro are ONLY branding names, not a system!!!!! [HR][/HR]​
Hell yes! I don't know why people have to keep on going with this one. The answer was stated within the first 7 or 8 posts.

·
Banned
6,488 Posts
Re: 4Motion = Quattro ? (Boostin20v)

quote:[HR][/HR]the TT uses quattro...[HR][/HR]​
Only the name-it is the Golf Haldex system

[Modified by NC-GTI, 4:02 PM 3-20-2003]

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Re: 4Motion = Quattro ? (NC-GTI)

quote:[HR][/HR]the TT uses quattro...
Only the name-it is the Golf Haldex system[HR][/HR]​

You havent been reading the thread havent you!!!

·
Registered
6,018 Posts

I swear someday I will come on here and you guys will be arguing that the earth is either flat or round.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts