VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been covered before but the search feature doesn't like 5 speed. I have a '78 Scirocco with a grinding 4 speed and a slipping clutch. I picked up a 4K to swap in and I was wondering what parts I'll need to do the conversion. I already need a clutch so I saw planning on stepping up to the bigger one. Will this bolt up ok to the stock 1488cc? Are there any linkages or brackets I'll need. Any thing else I need to know before I tear my daily driver apart? Thanks
Travis

· Registered
241 Posts
Re: 4speed to 5speed swap (Overkiller)

If you are getting a bigger clutch, make sure it fits your flywheel, unless you are replacing that, too. It should bolt up to the crank OK. I'm pretty sure that all the mounts, clutch cable and speedo cable will be OK. You might need to splice in the reverse light switch if it's a different kind. Also, I think you'll need the 5 speed shift linkage.

· Registered
677 Posts
You'll definitly need the different linkages. You might want to check on the size of the 5-speeds output flanges while your at it. Later models came with larger flanges. The good news is that all you have to do to replace them with your old ones is remove the C-clip
I'd recomend going with the 200mm flywheel, clutch, and PP setup for future mods

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: 4speed to 5speed swap (Overkiller)

OK the car's torn apart in the garage and I'll be driving my truck for a while. I got the old tranny out, clutch was exploded, literally. I cleaned up the junkyard 4K and got it ready to install.
The "84 GTI" spec'd clutch went in fine and is much bigger, but the larger flywheel uses 9 bolts vs. 6. I tried to test fit the tranny and found the tranny mount is totally different on the 5 speed vs. the old 4. The 4speed used 4 bolts going into the tranny vertically and the 5speed uses 2 bolts going horizontal. So I need to get a new tranny mount tomorrow then hopefully it'll go together.
I also got the linkage pieces spec'd for an '84 GTi from BAP and they are indeed different. I'll post up part numbers and such when the car moves again. The helpful counter guy at BAP was nice enough to look up every shifter related part for the rocco vs. GTI and the only other part that had a different part number besides the linkage pieces was the shifter itself. It was only $10 so I had him order it but it won't be here until Tues or Wed
. Just messing with my stock shifter is doesn't seem like it has enough throw to swing over to hit 5th. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
This swap has been a lot harder then I planned. I had hoped to tear apart the tranny, prevent it from self machining and change some gears but I blown clutch kinda pushed up the project. I know I'm not the first person to put a 5 speed in an older rocco but I searched my butt off and couldn't find anything on the web
. I plan on doing a little writeup when I'm done to help others. Sure would have been nice to know what parts to get ahead of time
. Oh well, I gotta go the bed and get up in 4 hours to take my wife to work. I miss my car.
Travis

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.