VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
5,286 Posts
It all depends on the car. I think Subarus are probably 50/50. Toyotas (cars) are probably more FWD biased while the Toyota (trucks) are probably more RWD biased. Most 4x4 like with transfercases and all that are probably more RWD biased while the full-time types are probably equal or FWD. But that is just my assumptions.

· Registered
8,080 Posts
Re: 4wd which axles receive more power. (igotaprestent4u)

It is different for each manufacturer. Some are 2wd until slippage is detected ect...
Also, when a true truck is in 4x4 it is 50/50, most cars at the most can acheive 60/40. But again it all depends on the system.

Modified by matoo at 4:19 PM 1/11/2004

· Registered
10,107 Posts
Re: 4wd which axles receive more power. (matoo)

Quote, originally posted by matoo »
It is different for each manufacturer. Some are 2wd until slippage is detected ect...
Also, when a true truck is in 4x4 it is 50/50, most cars at the most can acheive 60/40. But again it all depends on the system.

Modified by matoo at 4:19 PM 1/11/2004

60/40? Subaru and Audi Torsen have 50/50 systems. Audi Haldex system is something like 90/10, if not 100/0, when not slipping.
So the answer to the question of which axles receive more power? 42.

· Registered
17,503 Posts
Re: 4wd which axles receive more power. (my 2.0 rocket)

Quote, originally posted by my 2.0 rocket »

its being lost in the transmission, cv joints, differentials, any thing that transfers power to the wheels

oops, i read what you said wrong. i thought you were saying "not including power loss, it's 45/45". but you were saying "that's not including power loss.....so in reality it's more like 45/45".
but yeah, with AWD it's probably more like 20% (at least)

· Registered
14,143 Posts
Re: 4wd which axles receive more power. (GTiTOM)

Quote, originally posted by GTiTOM »

oops, i read what you said wrong. i thought you were saying "not including power loss, it's 45/45". but you were saying "that's not including power loss.....so in reality it's more like 45/45".
but yeah, with AWD it's probably more like 20% (at least)

· Registered
12,605 Posts

Not exactly, becuse the TC is splitting up 100% of the power that it outputs, so it would still be splitting it 50/50. Its just that the power being distributed is not the full power that the engine is producing.
But by the laws of physics, the TC has to split 100% of the power it is outputting.

· Registered
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E, 2021 Ford Bronco, 2003 Porsche 911 C4S, 1982 VW Rabbit
6,816 Posts

Quote, originally posted by my 2.0 rocket »
not counting power loss..so its more like 45/45

That doesn't really make any sense, by the way. You are talking about percentage split between the front and rear...drivetrain loss is not assumed to be different.

· Registered
1995 Audi 90 Sport Quattro, 2018 XC90
2,266 Posts
Re: 4wd which axles receive more power. (ogmius)

True 4wd with a tcase is a 50/50 split and uses a mechanical connection (Gear or chain) to drive the front driveshaft. AWD has a center differental and can modulate power between front and rear.

· Registered
5,819 Posts
Re: 4wd which axles receive more power. (The_Hamster)

my subaru is 90 front/10 rear until the rear wheels are detected to be slipping. its a pretty infuriating thing to have the wheels all of the sudden recieve power. plus its an automatic so it usually kicks in the rear wheels just as the transmission kicks down. its still driftable, but kinda hard to do. subaru manual transmisssions are all 50/50. man I need a WRX front clip...

· Registered
14,315 Posts
Re: 4wd which axles receive more power. (WOT)

My Galant VR4 was 50/50, but could (I believe) send 100% to either end. Same system as the Eclipse/Laser/Talon AWD. WRXs (manual tranny) are pretty much the same (50/50 with a viscous center diff).
Oh, and 3000GT VR4s are pretty similar, but their default split is 40/60 (or possibly 45/55)

· Registered
5,819 Posts
Re: 4wd which axles receive more power. (gtivr4)

Quote, originally posted by gtivr4 »
My Galant VR4 was 50/50, but could (I believe) send 100% to either end. Same system as the Eclipse/Laser/Talon AWD. WRXs (manual tranny) are pretty much the same (50/50 with a viscous center diff).
Oh, and 3000GT VR4s are pretty similar, but their default split is 40/60 (or possibly 45/55)
dont dsm's have an open center diff? I always hear about people breaking the spider gears in it. the subaru awd tranny is different, viscous coupling is more like a clutch pack setup in transmission fluid. its kinda hard to describe but its definitely not a regular differential like a dsm has. I cant wait for people to start crashing STi's so I can get a engine/tranny for my legacy...

· Registered
14,315 Posts
Re: 4wd which axles receive more power. (WOT)

Quote, originally posted by WOT »
dont dsm's have an open center diff? I always hear about people breaking the spider gears in it. the subaru awd tranny is different, viscous coupling is more like a clutch pack setup in transmission fluid. its kinda hard to describe but its definitely not a regular differential like a dsm has. I cant wait for people to start crashing STi's so I can get a engine/tranny for my legacy...

Nope, they have a viscous center differential just like WRXs (not STIs) and other manual transmission Subarus. The STI (and automatic tranny subarus) has a clutch type system (not sure the correct name).
Actually, Lamborghini and Porsche both use a viscous center differential for their AWD systems.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.