VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting faster in SM. Coilovers/Konis, 225 Victos, Hawk HPS, etc. help a lot. I was 5/19 in SM, with less than .8 seperating my fifth place from second. Currently 4th in point for the year in SM. I drove down to the Farmington New Mexico Pro Solo last weekend. This car is getting RACED, hard and frequently.
Also violating all of the holy-grail-of-MKIV-handling-theories - the car is low, low, low. FK Konigsports, Konis at full stiff out back and quarter-turn off full stiff up front. 400/350 lb springs. Rides stiff as hell on the street. And the front is so low that I get a little axle to body rub (skipping right past the more common swaybar-to-axle rub) on the street.
The dreaded SM tire change....

"What's that sound? Tire rub maybe? Hmmm..." I love scraping stuff while racing.
Actually it barely rubs

Hard on the Brembo/HPS combo after being deep in second:

WOT after 90 degree start:

Yikes!!!! Picture from about a year ago. Stock shocks/springs/bushings/tires/no strut bar/back seat still in, etc.

Just for fun, a pic of the car at seven days old:

Eric

Modified by vwbora1 at 3:14 AM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Re: 5/16 autocross pics... 337SM.. MKIV actually going fast in corners (vwbora1)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
i autocross my 20th but she is still stock
glad to see some serious auto-x vws

·
Registered
873 Posts
Re: 5/16 autocross pics... 337SM.. MKIV actually going fast in corners (vwbora1)

nice! .8 sec is a loooong time in autocross. when do you start shaving body mass (hood, interior)? also, what anti-roll and struts bars are you using? i would guess something quite massive upfront.

·
Registered
12,147 Posts
Re: 5/16 autocross pics... 337SM.. MKIV actually going fast in corners (sanch0)

i just put my KW coilovers on and have an autoX event this sunday, i cant wait to see how it compares to the factory stuff.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif to another VW out there tearing up the cones.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: 5/16 autocross pics... 337SM.. MKIV actually going fast in corners (sanch0)

Quote, originally posted by sanch0 »
nice! .8 sec is a loooong time in autocross. when do you start shaving body mass (hood, interior)? also, what anti-roll and struts bars are you using? i would guess something quite massive upfront.

Yes, .8 is a long time, but that .8 included second, third, fourth, and fifth places. I also had the 12th fastest time of day for all fendered vehicles.
Back seat is removed. Spare/tools are removed. I could do a carbon hood I guess, but I don't think the weight shavings would be significant. Plus, the money from the hood would be MUCH better spent on a LSD.
Front had NS lower tie, S3 strut tower bar, stock front sway. Rear has NS 28mm at full stiff. FK coils, lots of poly bushings.
Eric

·
Registered
4,547 Posts

time for a rear upper bar. They are pretty cheap ($60ish) and a handful of my buddies who have them say they felt considerably less hatch movement.
looking good though http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Couple more pics. Before you mention body roll, remember I'm on Rs, which make everything roll more because they stick:

Thanks for all the replies. I raced @ the Farmington ProSolo last weekend, and was competitive against Grady in a supercharged/Quaiffe'd/13" Hoosier'd EF Civic. Tunnell owned me, of course.

Eric

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

Heres mine from this past weekend. Nothin like racing in the rain

·
Banned
4,829 Posts
Re: 5/16 autocross pics... 337SM.. MKIV actually going fast in corners (gtivrsix)

I need to find an Auto-X group around me. My uncle used to X his 1987 rx7. Looks like mad fun. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts