Registered
2016 Golf R, 2001 Cabrio VR6
807 Posts
I think you're having a Senior moment.

·
Registered
A3 etron, Volt
9,423 Posts
Well now I know what to do if I ever want someone to steal my car.

·
Registered
The car so nice I bought it twice
1,463 Posts
Not surprised Princetonites are so lax with security, as it's not exactly a seedy area. But still, seems like a bad practice to leave your keys in the car

·
Registered
2016 Golf R DSG
381 Posts
Not surprised Princetonites are so lax with security, as it's not exactly a seedy area. But still, seems like a bad practice to leave your keys in the car
My wife always said she wanted to move to a more affluent neighborhood, one we cannot afford. I kept telling her more money doesn’t equal more safety. Where do all the thieves go? To the place where the big dollar items are. It’s not rocket science.

·
Registered
35,525 Posts
My wife always said she wanted to move to a more affluent neighborhood, one we cannot afford. I kept telling her more money doesn’t equal more safety. Where do all the thieves go? To the place where the big dollar items are. It’s not rocket science.
You can find crime maps on multiple websites. There's an extremely strong inverse correlation between property values and property crime frequency. So yes, there's always going to be a certain number of criminals willing to head into expensive neighborhoods but that's the opposite of what statistics show.

·
Registered
2016 Golf R DSG
381 Posts
You can find crime maps on multiple websites. There's an extremely strong inverse correlation between property values and property crime frequency. So yes, there's always going to be a certain number of criminals willing to head into expensive neighborhoods but that's the opposite of what statistics show.
Interesting. The neighborhood my wife was looking at seems to constantly have issues whereas, we don’t really have too many issues here.

·
Registered
34,996 Posts
I didn't think it was 1961? What's with leaving keys in cars?

Reactions: Aw614

·
Registered
35,525 Posts
Interesting. The neighborhood my wife was looking at seems to constantly have issues whereas, we don’t really have too many issues here.
This is one of the sites I've used in the past:

You might be reviewing in a different way than neighborhood level though. For example, if you zoom out far enough to where you're comparing an entire state, then yeah, the higher cost real estate is in the city and "in the city" is higher crime, but not on a neighborhood by neighborhood level. Still though, if that's what you're doing is comparing an urban area to a rural area then you can zoom far enough out to the point where the rural area is low crime and low cost, but it's no longer comparable because you're not genuinely in the same area at that point.

·
Registered
2021 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2018 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
1,027 Posts
The amount of people who DO NOT lock their car is shocking. Only eclipsed by how many of them get their feathers ruffled when someone finally breaks into their car.

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 vert, E36 coupé
2,072 Posts

Crime statistics based on real estate values confirm nothing beyond the legacy of redlining and the use of police as tools to shield property values of the affluent.

The only correlation is that if you put more cops on a given street, they will find more reasons to cite more people for more crimes.

·
Registered
15,860 Posts
Crime statistics based on real estate values confirm nothing beyond the legacy of redlining and the use of police as tools to shield property values of the affluent.

The only correlation is that if you put more cops on a given street, they will find more reasons to cite more people for more crimes.
While I see where you’re going with this, what you are saying is pretty ridiculous. While it is true that certain police practices — for example Terry stops —do have a disproportionate effect on minority and low income individuals, you really deny a negative correlation between property values and crime? You’re telling me that my parents house on the North Shore of Chicago experiences the same amount of crime as the South inner city of Chicago? Are you insane?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
While I see where you’re going with this, what you are saying is pretty ridiculous. While it is true that certain police practices — for example Terry stops —do have a disproportionate effect on minority and low income individuals, you really deny a negative correlation between property values and crime? You’re telling me that my parents house on the North Shore of Chicago experiences the same amount of crime as the South inner city of Chicago? Are you insane?
It is quite possible that it does, perhaps crime that does not go reported or acted upon. There is a big difference between what gets listed in crime statistics and what actually occurs in a given locale. Some types of crime are high visibility, like crimes that involve property. While other types of crime are not only not actively policed but also not reported. Different types of drug dealing are done in one sort of neighborhood vs another, prescription pills for example, and those various criminal enterprises are policed differently or not at all. I've lived in expensive neighborhoods and poor ones as well, the police presence itself is like night and day, and without anyone to record the crimes in the more expensive areas then a statement regarding the amount of crime occurring lacks factual backing. It's just more cultural elitism from predictable sources.

·
Just Going with the FLO.
3,076 Posts
Most insurance will not cover damages if the police
report states the keys were found in the car at the time
of recovery.
I don’t actually think that this is true.
I have advocated this for years. idk if it is true but yeah you didn't take a reasonable precaution I shouldn't have to pay for your stupidity. Also seat belts/helmets on bikes

Mud

1 - 20 of 49 Posts