VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing 15" rims handle the best on A2's, most recently in the " what size wheel do you like" thread. Can someone explain why the 15" makes a better handling setup?

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Re: !5" rim performance vs. 17" wheel performance (Clav)

pick up the latest issue of EuroTuner magazine and you can read their track comparison of 15,16, and 17 inch wheels. I know I know...the mag sucks but just read it anyway...
to sum it up, 17 inch wheels give a stiffer feel so they feel tighter but on a lowered light MK2, 17s are overkill and you will be happier with a smaller wheel with a thicker tire such as a 50 series on a 15 inch wheel. 15s give you faster track times and faster acceleration but because of more sidewall flex, they tend to be a little more sloppy than 17s. The best overall setup would be a 16 inch wheel but to each their own ... I personally prefer 15s ... no way in hell would I put 17s on my MK2

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Re: !5" rim performance vs. 17" wheel performance (Ted)

It's all about weight...my friend's racing hart 17's lighter than his 16's...less weight is better...
[edit: spelling]

[Modified by 87GolfKart, 4:34 PM 3-21-2003]

·
Registered
269 Posts
Re: !5" rim performance vs. 17" wheel performance (Clav)

A bigger wheel means less sidewall and more accuracy in the corners, but it also means slower acceleration and slower breaking. For ever pound of unsprung, rotating weight, it is like having 5 extra pounds on the car. You can see how the weight will quickly add up, since you have 4 wheels. Also, the farther the weight is from the ceter of rotation the more of a negative effect it has!

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Re: !5" rim performance vs. 17" wheel performance (px3)

the weight of the car is also a factor. some sidwall flex is good for handeling, thats why you see race cars all have the smallest wheels they can fit over their brakes.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Re: !5" rim performance vs. 17" wheel performance (norman)

not to mention, the smaller wheel will feel alot more torque over the bigger set of wheels. generally they are stronger and lighter as well.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Re: !5" rim performance vs. 17" wheel performance (Mbiggy)

car didnt handle well at all with 17's

handles better with the 14's on it now
i think it is just due to the fact that there is o give at all in the sideawall when you hti a bumo, ride was very harsh, and is now very comfortable again

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Re: !5" rim performance vs. 17" wheel performance (verboten)

so, technically...
would having 13 inch steelies be the best for acceleration?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: !5" rim performance vs. 17" wheel performance (8vRocket)

prolly not, steelies are steel and steel is heavy! get that luminum poop and be done with it, 17s are for show, 15s are ideal for performance.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Re: !5" rim performance vs. 17" wheel performance (8vRocket)

no, because 13" steelies are only like 5" wide, so you're not gonna fit much tire on that wheel, and your contact patch is going to be small... so you're more likely going to peel out vs accelerate.
Now.... an aftermarket set of panasports 13x8 will accelerate quite nicely.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Re: !5" rim performance vs. 17" wheel performance (Mbiggy)

hmmm, 13s won't fit over my brakes... 14s won't either...my 15s barely do.
I think my next set of tires i will move up to a 50 series.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Re: !5" rim performance vs. 17" wheel performance (baupfhor)

From what I've heard
It's easier to feel how close your car is to the limit if you have some sidewall, if you're running 30 series rubber, your either under the limit or over the limit, while with 50 series you can feel it approach the limit
thats not what I've felt between two setups, but thats what I've read
Anyway, look at formula one cars, it's not like their rocking 30 series rubber

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Re: !5" rim performance vs. 17" wheel performance (88Jetta)

yup thats what my dad says. But anyways believe it or not, for some SCCA racing they've found a 60-65 series profile to be best.
Reasoning i can come up with is that they can clock off better turns, because they are more nimble. Plus you can feel when they let go so that they can take it to the limit safely.
quote:[HR][/HR]From what I've heard
It's easier to feel how close your car is to the limit if you have some sidewall, if you're running 30 series rubber, your either under the limit or over the limit, while with 50 series you can feel it approach the limit
thats not what I've felt between two setups, but thats what I've read
Anyway, look at formula one cars, it's not like their rocking 30 series rubber
[HR][/HR]​

·
Banned
5,229 Posts
Re: !5" rim performance vs. 17" wheel performance (OZ jetta)

quote:[HR][/HR] But anyways believe it or not, for some SCCA racing they've found a 60-65 series profile to be best. [HR][/HR]​
Pretty much. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif My new auto-xers are only 45 series but that's on a 235 width. You need a little bit of sidewall, IMO, to "talk" to you. You don't want a tire that either has traction or is completely breaking loose. You need a little middle ground. The 14 inch Falken Azenzis for STS in autox only come in a 195-60 series, FYI.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Re: !5" rim performance vs. 17" wheel performance (vuu16v)

it depends on what tire you are using... sidewall stiffness differs between brands and models of tire... along with tread pattern, material used, etc... yes, a light wheel does help, but... more weight on the outer edge is what matters the most... ie., light tires will help more due to less rotating mass... shaving material of the center of the wheel will have very little affect on the acceleration/deceleration... but will affect ride (depending on amount of material removed... a 15" wheel/tire can ride as harshly as a 17" w/t depending on what tires are chosen... the old toyo proxes t1 plus had very stiff sidewalls, which made them a harsh riding tire, but very predictable with lots of grip (for a road tire)... the t1-s is the same construction (different tread pattern) with a softer sidewall, they are more comfortable, but do not perform anywhere close to the older model (imo)
ride and feel are also affected by suspension and alignment... some tires work better with more camber, some work better with less... air pressures will also vary between tires... so just trying a new set of tires will not always give you a subjective view...
i personally have 15" volk te-37's w/ 205/50 bridgestone potenza's... 34 lbs. per corner... on a slightly lowered car (~2.0") with modifications to the front suspension to keep camber curve and roll center the same as stock height, a relatively soft spring rate and modified rear trailing arm...

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Re: !5" rim performance vs. 17" wheel performance (verboten)

quote:[HR][/HR]

car didnt handle well at all with 17's

handles better with the 14's on it now
i think it is just due to the fact that there is o give at all in the sideawall when you hti a bumo, ride was very harsh, and is now very comfortable again[HR][/HR]​

well i think it LOOKS better with the 14"s

1 - 16 of 16 Posts