VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the shouldered bolt that goes through the relay lever bracket and the relay lever for the shift linkage on my '83 GTI. It's got a 13mm head, 8mm shank ~27mm long and 6mm threads. I see it pictured in my Bentley, but it doesn't show a name for it, much less a part number. Anyone know where I can get one, what it's properly called or a PN# for it?
TIA
OK, there's a pic that includes the bolt on the missing linkz page. I'm talking about the bolt in this pic that he's shimmed with a washer.
http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel...1.jpg

Modified by flogger at 10:14 PM 4-19-2010

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 5 spd. shift linkage relay lever bracket bolt - where to get? PN#? (chickenfriend)

Thanks. That was very helpful and I ordered a new one. Sorry my attempts at using the vortex' search failed yet again. In this case, though, it looks like it's on me and I didn't try the magic combination of search parameters. Oh well.
My GTI has been an autocross toy for about a decade now, and I really haven't been breaking many stock pieces in that time, so I haven't had to search the web for part number lookups for it. Are they available somewhere online yet? It's been really handy having realoem.com for my wife's E36 M3. Anything like that for VWs?
Thanks again for the PN# and busdepot suggestion.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Re: 5 spd. shift linkage relay lever bracket bolt - where to get? PN#? (flogger)

Quote, originally posted by flogger »
part number lookups . Are they available somewhere online yet?

I find common parts using the busdepot.com catalog. They include the part number.
You can find other part numbers with a look-up on http://www.vagcat.com/. This is a "euro" ETKA, and so you see parts you might not see on US models.
Last time I looked, you can register for free and get access to one or two car models/years.
I suggest taking a car year and "saving" every page on your hard drive as a web archive. You will need to tidy-up some of the page titles, getting rid of the //'s so you can get a filename your computer will like.
Several years ago, threads mentioning this site were blackholed, I presume under the assumtion it was illegal ETKA.
However, you will alway run into these "euro" etka sites when you google a VW part number. So, whether illegal or not, I don't think anyone gives a hoot anymore.

Modified by chickenfriend at 10:50 PM 4-20-2010

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: 5 spd. shift linkage relay lever bracket bolt - where to get? PN#? (chickenfriend)

Thanks for the PN# lookup info. I'll make local copies like you suggested when I find the time.
I heard back from busdepot.com a couple days ago. The "fitted bolt" is on back order with no ETA. Any other ideas?
Has anyone even got a good used one for me? I MIGed mine back together where it snapped, but in order to not destroy all the threads, I didn't use a lot of heat. Then I had to grind down the weld to fit through the small hole, and I spaced the nut away from the weld with some washers. I'm not super comfortable with it, mostly because I'm not sure how much penetration I got. Even though it's mounted in double shear, I'd rather just replace the thing. Anyone?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts