VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Oh, and in addition to what I stated/edited above, go ahead and get a new slave cylinder fluid line. Mine just failed on me. I can only guess is because I removed and replaced it twice. They are not old-school threaded connections, only push rubber connections with clips.

Pedal hit the floor while coming up to an intersection. The fluid level in the reservoir doesn't have to fall too far (~1/2"?) before your slave cylinder is starved of fluid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
*Update*

I found an 2012 Passat LPU Trans with 36k and have fitted it with a new clutch and flywheel for a very reasonable price,

Took it out for a test run and everything seems to be fine 'touch wood'.

I don't think I would have got around to fixing it if I hadn't found this post.

Thanks again for your advice leon :D

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Is the LPU the only transmission that can be swapped with the KPF? In reference to a vw rabbit 2009 manual
No. There are other 5-speeds that will fit. Seemingly anything from a 2.5L model.

The only thing you have to keep an eye on is the gear ratios. The KPF ratios are the fun ones :)

Also, there are 6-speeds from the GTI/GLI that you can swap in there too.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Forgot to update this thread.

The transmission swap went perfectly and it mates well in the rabbit.

3rd gear isn't as fun as it used to be, however, my upgraded BFI clutch makes up for it in 1st and 2nd.

Cruising with low rpms on the highway now. Also, I don't even have to downshift as much as I had anticipated; which is nice.
Thanks for updating - very cool swap! May I ask what RPM you are turning on the highway? That's really interesting. I wouldn't consider a swap like this with my Jetta as it is on the way out, but maybe if I get another Rabbit. I've always found 5th to be a bit too short.

·
Registered
9,946 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead to thank OP for all of the great info here. I have a 2008 Rabbit that's been in the family since new, and the close gearing always seemed like a terrible mismatch for the 2.5. It's now being turned into a rallycross car as well as continuing daily driver duties, and is getting a limited slip this winter - I was looking for transmission options for an easy swap, and this is PERFECT. 1-2 being the same is all I need for autocross/rallycross, and the taller 3-4-5 will suit the torque of the 2.5 and gain better gas mileage.

Add to that, these are more plentiful, cheaper, and lower miles due to being available in much newer cars.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead to thank OP for all of the great info here. I have a 2008 Rabbit that's been in the family since new, and the close gearing always seemed like a terrible mismatch for the 2.5. It's now being turned into a rallycross car as well as continuing daily driver duties, and is getting a limited slip this winter - I was looking for transmission options for an easy swap, and this is PERFECT. 1-2 being the same is all I need for autocross/rallycross, and the taller 3-4-5 will suit the torque of the 2.5 and gain better gas mileage.

Add to that, these are more plentiful, cheaper, and lower miles due to being available in much newer cars.
I have the HGR in my 2006 rabbit which is the closest geared trans in a 2.5. I love it. It’s a great match. Makes it feel really fun to drive. 5th gear pulls easy up hills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,946 Posts
I have the HGR in my 2006 rabbit which is the closest geared trans in a 2.5. I love it. It’s a great match. Makes it feel really fun to drive. 5th gear pulls easy up hills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't really ever want my top gear to be able to easily pull up hills - I have no issues downshifting for that. I always want a tall top gear for a reasonably torquey engine.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
as you've stated, this isn't going to change anything for your rally-cross needs.

you 'may' get marginally better fuel mileage and save a few dollars on the highway, but not enough to cover the swap costs.

you 'may' get a relaxed feeling when cruising at a lower rpm though; i know i do.

the biggest improvement for 1st and 2nd was from the BFI clutch kit.

in regards to the cost and availability of this transmission, i got mine for ~$600 with 12,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2008 Vw Rabbit
782 Posts
Amazing info. I’ve been wondering aside from a 6spd swap, what/if any other 5spd trans is better suited for fun drives but also good on highway mpg. I drive ~45mins a day on the freeway to/from work everyday I work at 70-80mph...speed limit is 75mph around here.

I had read a few years back somewhere(when I had a Jetta) the 09 tdi 6speed would be a good fit for this. But like with a gti 6spd swap, that would need new axles and a handful of other things(not to mention a clutch, which is when I’d be potentially be doing this job anyway tho). But with only 60kmi and a brand new trans and clutch from the dealer(free to me - long story), it wouldn’t make much sense to swap it out just for kicks(tho it would have a higher resale value vs an old used one).

Just bought a 08 rabbit in March, has around 140kmi now and the oe clutch(no signs of it being replaced yet, still going strong tho). I might have to think about this whenever I have to replace the clutch.

When I bought it, I was thinking a 6spd swap when clutch time, but for ~$2k it’s a quite steep. Granted I don’t just have ~$600 laying around either, but ~1/3 price is definitely an easier pill to swallow and I could make some money back from selling the original trans(eventually).

Le0n I know you mentioned you got your trans for $600, what did you end up paying for the whole swap? Also is there any coding/programming required, or just bolt and go?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Amazing info. I’ve been wondering aside from a 6spd swap, what/if any other 5spd trans is better suited for fun drives but also good on highway mpg. I drive ~45mins a day on the freeway to/from work everyday I work at 70-80mph...speed limit is 75mph around here.
you can just swap the 5th gear. you don't even have to remove the transmission.

this way you can have your highway gear and all others stay the same.

Le0n I know you mentioned you got your trans for $600, what did you end up paying for the whole swap? Also is there any coding/programming required, or just bolt and go?
~$1500

edit:
no coding or anything like that.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.