VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did any of the american cars come with the bigger intake? and does it make much of a difference?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Re: 50 mill intake (kbs)

I don't think any US cars came with them....only europeans. they seem to make the biggest difference for high RPMs in the 2.0 liters with cams and P&P jobs..

[Modified by GTX 16v, 7:02 PM 2-14-2002]

·
Registered
666 Posts
Re: 50 mill intake (kbs)

as far as i know this was never offered on american cars. i hear there is a gain on the top end like 5k to redline. and a minimal loss of lowend. if you have cams its like 10- 15hp. i want to get one of these but i dont have the funds for it

·
Registered
2006 P+ A4 3.2 Avant, 2011 C'Dale Bad Boy, 2014 C'Dale Carbon Synapse, 2019 P+ Q5
41,531 Posts

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Re: 50 mill intake (IwannaGTI)

I hate to burst your bubble but the 50 is a complete waste of money unless you like to pay to make your car slower. Large loss of low end and midrange across the board until right at redline. Sure, you can make even more peak HP with bigger cams but then your midrange will be even worse. Save your money, I've been there, done that.

·
Registered
2006 P+ A4 3.2 Avant, 2011 C'Dale Bad Boy, 2014 C'Dale Carbon Synapse, 2019 P+ Q5
41,531 Posts
Re: 50 mill intake (SpeedyD)

oh my word.... here we go again. As I've said before and I'll say in the future: if you have done all the other tricks the 50 will add power. Move up to a 2L SpeedyD and then try it

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Re: 50 mill intake (16v)

Yep - here we go again is right. Until somebody posts dynos that contradict mine I will continue to refute the butt-dynos of those who say it does what they say it does. 2 liter, schmoo liter, what difference does that make? Your 2L makes LESS POWER than my 1.8L, is that moving UP? How about explaining why that is? I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just presenting the FACTS as I've experienced them, and have the DATA to back them up.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Re: 50 mill intake (GTX 16v)

They don't. My mildly nodded 1.8 makes more power than his more highly modded 2.0. I've got the dyno charts. He's got the 50mm. I did, but got rid of it. His car SHOULD make more power than mine. Are you starting to get the picture?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

Speedy. You are mental if you think a 1.8 moded without a 50mm intake makes more power than a moded 2.0 with the 50's...

·
Registered
1,094 Posts

Well how do you know it's the 50mm that's holding him back? Your comparing YOUR car which DOESN'T have cams or p&p like we're saying... to another car that DOES, that HAPPENS to have the 50mm installed.... That's ALL.

·
Registered
26,454 Posts

Was it the same brand dyno? Same test conditions? Even the same brand dynoes are known to have a +/- 5% difference (or more) between units. Unless you guys test your cars at the same place on the same day, I'd wonder if the results are really comparable, Speedy? Perhaps either you or Doug can refute me on this.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Re: 50 mill intake (SeattleGLI)

Same brand of dyno - whatever - go buy all the 50 mm's you want. I'm done.

[Modified by SpeedyD, 8:12 PM 2-14-2002]

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Re: 50 mill intake (88Jetta)

I'm gonna start pasting in some of the arguments from the previosu thread just to get people all fired up!

Give up with this one, I don't think either side will concede.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts

i have the 50mm on the rocco.. here is what i have noticed..
i did loose a bit of bottom end. and torque.. .but.. will regain after some further tuning.. now.. top end is unbelievable. pulls like no tomorow. . the car has cams,p&p head ..and is a 2.0.
if you have the 1.8 16v. dont bother with it.. . even a stock 2.0 i think will suffer.
personally, i love the look of it also. . would i have done it again.. sure will. but thats just my opinion..

·
Registered
41,531 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Yep - here we go again is right. Until somebody posts dynos that contradict mine I will continue to refute the butt-dynos of those who say it does what they say it does. 2 liter, schmoo liter, what difference does that make? Your 2L makes LESS POWER than my 1.8L, is that moving UP? How about explaining why that is? I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just presenting the FACTS as I've experienced them, and have the DATA to back them up. [HR][/HR]​

this is a pretty silly argument. I have no, make that NO torque loss b/c I have more cc's, that is my point and has been my point for every single one of these threads that have come up. The two dot schmoo makes a big difference (that's funny, I like that).
In your own words: Here's the graph : red is with the 50mm, green is the old run. I got out of it a little early on the original run. The TT module feels like it made a BIG difference, I really need to run it again now. Like I said, from 5k up it really pulls, low end has no noticeable difference from the stock manifold You've solidified my point. You can't compare apples to oranges and that is what you're doing, comparing a modified 1.8 to a modified 2L.

Just for the record, again, if anyone wants to pony the money up for me to make back to back runs I will have the facilities to run the 50 and then reinstall my stock manifold. If Kris' dyno runs aren't enough to make you see what I'm talking about maybe if I do it you will? Hell, maybe I'll just do it anyway.

·
Registered
41,531 Posts

oops... forgot the dyno sheet:

2L, 50mm, Euro intake cam, no o2 sensor, GIAC installed the night before and not tested; backed out at 6300. Not bad in my opinion for a 195k mile motor. More to come in the spring

·
Registered
15,710 Posts

i like two liter, schmoo liter as well.....AND i like the extra pull from 80 to 100 in fourth and fifth gears that the 50mm has given me...i like schmoo liters!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts