VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about a few months ago I bought this 91 Jetta that was in its darkest hour for about 750. Looking back I should have gave the guy less. Specially if i knew he was going to rip me off parts and mess up the title.
the ad http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3662079
It actually looks much better in those photos then when i got it. But it alsi barely ran, had no 5th gear, AC, Smelled horrible inside, over spray everywhere, not turn signals, list goes on and on. But the body was straight, except the **** paint job on it. I really hate flat black anymore.

all the sanding and i got this

Which I finally put the first two coats on this last weekend. I still have about 6 more to go and a ton sanding still. But I'm fairly impressed, even for being in black it looks pretty decent.

I plan to replace all the rubber trim because its pretty cracked and I need to sand and buff the door jams. I need paint under the front bumper, but I got lazy on the first couple coats cus i didn't know how it would turn out anyways. The photos are kinda crappy, a flash under neon lights is probably not choice lighting. But i'm happy so far. Just another couple months of working on it and it should be really nice again. At least everything works and its reliable now.

Modified by golgothan at 11:36 AM 9-15-2008

Modified by golgothan at 1:15 PM 9-23-2008

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: $50 paint job. (cleanslatefan)

Quote, originally posted by cleanslatefan »
from 2300 to 800? Holy gawd. That must have been a bucket....

Ugh, you wouldn't even imagine. Just lucky for me i've had a half dozen mk2's over the years and amassed a medium sized shed full of parts to get it working right. I guess it was my own fault for not looking at the title better. But i didn't think he would avoid my calls and screw me out of the parts he owed me.

Modified by golgothan at 1:15 PM 9-23-2008

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
Re: $50 paint job. (golgothan)

Sucks that you ended up dealing with a theiving idiot....
The $50 dollar paint job works really well, just very labor intensive, and more wet sanding after that. Good thing is you can do it in small pieces wen you have the time / energy. What I learnred about two-toneing my golf was that it's all in the prep wet sanding and surface prep ( as if that's big news). If you're using rustoleum, they do make a clear coat for it.
Also... if you opt for the Almuninum paint, once you strat getting a good shine on it , it is refective as hell and not a good choice fot the center of your hood. The alumnimum powder in the paint, or what ever is in there doesn't setle out so fast os you can roll it with consistency. THe ALuminum paint also mixes well with other rustolium painst and definitely brights them up with a slightly greyed-out metalic effect. I bought quarts and mixed black, smoke grey and aluminum to get the greys I wanted.
Good look with it... looks damn good so far.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (emmkaytwo)

Quote, originally posted by emmkaytwo »
needs a bit more sanding and then polished imo

That's the first coat i haven't done any sanding or polishing I still have about 3 weeks of working on it to do. Reading is a lost art.

Modified by golgothan at 4:39 PM 9-15-2008

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (a_mkII_j)

So far i've spent about 10 dollars on sandpaper, about 15 on paint and mineral spirits, and another 10 on brushes and a roller. I figure about another 15 dollars will be dropped before its said and done. I do own a buffer and pads and rubbing compounds, So i won't have to buy that stuff.
I did roll and brush the paint on.
Here's the article I got it from.
http://www.hotrod.com/techarti....html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.