VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

55k Miles and My Stock Suspension Already Needs Replacement?

3K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  beanobeano 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2018 R and I love to drive, hence the mileage. Country drives have been one of my primary modes of coping with the societal effects of COVID. I am surprised that already the car bounces over bumps like it needs new struts or springs, or more new components.

I've taken the R to one shop and the didn't see any apparent damage and no leaking from the struts. I'm looking for any insights from y'all. Is this normal for a car of this mileage? Have any idea what I should suspect from the dealer? I'm hoping it just needs new springs. Thanks.

I do have 12mm+15mm spacers, rear sway bar+upgraded end links, and front strut brace.

#4 ·
I am surprised that already the car bounces over bumps like it needs new struts or springs, or more new components.
So, just to be sure, the car now goes over bumps with a different feel and even different body motions and/or different suspension movements? What exactly is it doing? Hit a bump and the car bounces up and down repeatedly? Does it feel like it's tipping in corners more than before too? Does it squat more on acceleration or nose dive more braking? Does it ride level? Are there noises involved?

The shocks/struts/dampers are what makes the springs not bouncy and they wear out. The springs are what cushions you from the bumps and usually do not wear out. If there is also noise, the dampers are really worn out and/or there is something broken and/or loose.

Is this normal for a car of this mileage?
Yes, this sounds normal. People are getting between 40k-100k miles out of their stock dampers.

Have any idea what I should suspect from the dealer?
Expect the dealer to suggest all new struts for about $2000, is my guess.

So, yes, coilovers here you come.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

#6 ·
So, just to be sure, the car now goes over bumps with a different feel and even different body motions and/or different suspension movements? What exactly is it doing? Hit a bump and the car bounces up and down repeatedly? Does it feel like it's tipping in corners more than before too? Does it squat more on acceleration or nose dive more braking? Does it ride level? Are there noises involved?

The shocks/struts/dampers are what makes the springs not bouncy and they wear out. The springs are what cushions you from the bumps and usually do not wear out. If there is also noise, the dampers are really worn out and/or there is something broken and/or loose.

Yes, this sounds normal. People are getting between 40k-100k miles out of their stock dampers.

Expect the dealer to suggest all new struts for about $2000, is my guess.

So, yes, coilovers here you come.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Sign that they are toast is if they clunk hard over bumps.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Replaced mine with Bilstein B6 Damptronics and Eibachs @ 33k. While I was at it, I bought new strut bearings/tops and installed eurosport street camber kit as well as O34 motorsport rear strut tops. Probably would have lasted another 10k or so, but they were definitely starting to get tired. Love this setup. Perfect height and ride quality. Feels OEM.

Kind Regards,
Ryan

#13 ·
I am on 81k, 71k miles with springs. They car rides very well still and beat them around the corners. I do remember when I had stock springs I felt the shocks to be very floaty so maybe that is what you are feeling. Once I put the springs on, cause is much better. Race mode on Stock now felt like normal/eco mode on my HR springs.

#15 ·
I just heard from the dealer and they saw nothing wrong w/ my R. They recommended I take it back to the shop who installed my rear sway bar and end links (I did in April) and front strut brace (I did a few weeks ago). I am perplexed. At highway speeds the bouncing is obvious and unnerving.

Do y'all think that the my aftermarket suspension parts be causing this? I'll be doing a lot of driving coming up, and don't want to make matters worse while being far from home. Any recommendations? I may just order coilovers asap and have them put on before I leave. Thanks for all of your replies.

#26 ·
Right on!! You will be very pleased!! I still do not know or have read any bad reviews with the B6/Eibach combo that Crild has stated. I have about 10k on mine and absolutely love it. The ride is composed, settled, and comfortable under all circumstances. Each DCC setting is noticeably different between the settings and in comfort the suspension is far more controlled in suspension movement and body movement than the OEM floatiness. The drop is perfect, still looks OEM with slightly less wheel gap and driving around town does not require weird angles to avoid scrapes. As I’m sure you’ve read, there is minimal dive, squat, and body roll. I believe this setup is perfect for everyday use and would have no hesitation recommending it to others!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.