VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Not for the feint of heart but I dove into rebuilding my tranny (5HP19FLA 01V). The main issue was that the gear shift select switch was bad and while driving it on limp mode I burned out the A clutch. I went through the whole transmission and replaced all the soft seals and friction plates and replaced the gear shift select switch.

Sadly, when I first re-installed it I didn't have the torque converter fully installed and when I bolted it to the engine the torque converter sheared of the two cogs on the inner gear pump. I re-pulled it all out and replaced the gear pump. Inspected the transmission clutches and they all looked good. So, I put it back together and re-installed it all, this time getting the torque converter properly inserted and all went together well... at least I thought so.

Now, when we start it we can:
1) Drive in 1st gear, but accelerating to 2nd it throws a P0730 error and goes into Limp Mode
2) Drive in reverse just fine
3) Hear a rattling noise in tranny (not sure where)
4) Tiptronic won't shift at all. Maybe related or separate issue, no idea. We do see the 1-5 gear menu when we switch to Tiptronic mode but no gear changes.

I've tried draining/filling the tranny two times. Strange thing is it appears that after filling it with new tranny fluid for the non-running fill, it does take more fluid, and put more in at 30dC running, the check at 45dC it dumps most of it back out. So I keep wondering if I have enough fluid in it. Also, crazy that it dumps most I put in during the running fill out... is that normal?

Lastly, I did the stall test for the torque converter and it got to 2000 rpm but have no idea where to find the specs for the stall test for this tranny, so don't know if this is good or bad.

Things I've wondered:

1) New Gear pump not working properly?
2) TC is damaged? (but I don't see how since there were no scratches/damage to cylinder that goes into gear pump and it didn't look distorted, it definitely won the war of pushing on the cogs of the inner gear to the gear pump)
3) Something in valve body not working properly? (Tiptronic clue?)

Any thoughts on where to attack first that makes the most sense? Where to find stall test specs?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.