VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to lower my cruising rpms. i have a 1.8t tranny. i figured just add a 6th gear, but am realizing this is too expensive and hard to do. i was looking for 5th gear conversion kits, and found this from autotech from reading some archived posts
http://www.autotech.com/catalog/trangear.htm#gck
they dont seem to have any for 1.8t trannys though, are there any other places that have these?
also would this be a hard thing to install?
thx
Andrew

· Registered
439 Posts
Re: 5th gear conversion/6th gear add on (DuBDrew)

Doesn't 1.8t have 02A trans? Any of the 02A gears should work then.
How come the 0.72 is $60 more than the other two, is it because that's the one I want?

Bump for install info.

· Registered
1,681 Posts
Re: 5th gear conversion/6th gear add on (LoneRanger!)

I am looking to do the exact same thing...
A while back (3 years), I knew dieselgeek offered a .72 kit for like $299 or so, but i can't even find that anymore.
I am considering going to the dealership and just simply buying a .72 gear and just swapping it out... but i need a part number??
what do you guys think?
Driving at autobahn speeds(140mph+) everyday and taching close to 7000rpm is not only annoying but wears everyting out and forget about gas mileage...
TIA,
Adrian

· Registered
20,749 Posts
Re: 5th gear conversion/6th gear add on (itb76)

Quote, originally posted by itb76 »
Doesn't 1.8t have 02A trans? Any of the 02A gears should work then.
How come the 0.72 is $60 more than the other two, is it because that's the one I want?

Bump for install info.

the 1.8t has a 5 speed 02J transmission
the .72 is for a 02A/02J transmission the other 2 gear sets are for 020 and they are different designs. the 020 transmission has been used in the US from 1974-2002
do a search and you will see all of the topics that have already discussed the 5th gear prices and the fact that the autotech one will work. Or buy my TDI's .756 5th gear for $250 and I'll buy the .717

Modified by G60ING at 1:22 PM 9-16-2005

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.