VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting this for a friend with a MK3 GTI. He says that one day on the highway, his fifth gear just "popped" out. Every time he puts it in 5th gear, it pops back into neutral after a couple of seconds. What could this be?

Broken teeth on the gear maybe? Also, how hard or time consuming would it be to get it fixed? He might think of selling the car if stuff like this keeps hapenning!!!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Re: 5th gear popping out??? (VWsuperhero)

Low transmission fluid (oil). I had that happen to a previous car (Dodge Daytona). "It fixed itself" after I put some oil in the tranny...That was a stupid mistake not to check it in the first place...Fortunately nothing got fkd up.

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
Re: 5th gear popping out??? (VWsuperhero)

Chipped Teeth is definately a possibility, Screwed 5th Gear Synchro, uhhh, broken Tranny Mount that is causing enough flex to pop it out of gear (unlikely, but possible), But I think one would notice something like that, I HOPE
Can't think of much else, i am not sure on the idea of low fluid,
Could be one other thing, I had a Freshly rebuilt 5spd in my 2.0L that was popping out of first gear after like a week. It turned out that the Thrush Washer behind the 1st Gear (like a spacer or something) broke in half and was causing the gear not to engage properly. Tranny shop wasn't sure how it broke, but it was 1 week after a $1200 repair bill, so they replaced it quickly and for free. Could be a idea.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Re: 5th gear popping out??? (Rob96GTI)

I'm not really sure what the problem is, but make sure you get it looked at quickly. My 16V was doing that for a few weeks, and shortly after it started, I blew the tranny. Good luck on the fix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts