VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

6 0hm sub???

1K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Psychoman 
#1 ·
Im involved in that whole Eclipse sub mess over in the audio classifieds. I bought the speaker thinking it was a 4ohm sub. Now I found out its 6 ohm. Does anyone even make a 6 ohm amp. How do I go about powering a 6 ohm sub? Am I looking at buying another speaker or two inorder to get this to work?

#5 ·
Re: 6 0hm sub??? (J_Blaze)

quote:[HR][/HR]I've got three SVC 6 ohm subs wired together to present a 4 ohm load to my amp (currently missing
). Thats the only way I've heard to do it. Good luck guys.[HR][/HR]​
Three 6 Ohm Single Voice Coil subs wired in parallel will yeild an impedance of 2 ohms, not 4 ohms.

#7 ·
Re: 6 0hm sub??? (J_Blaze)

So lets just say for now that I buy a second sub. Can I wire it so its than a 3 ohm load. The sub has a continuous power handling of 500W at 4ohms. What type of amp would I be looking at to power 2 subs at 3 ohms?

[Modified by FlashRedSLC, 8:16 AM 8-9-2002]

#8 ·
Re: 6 0hm sub??? (FlashRedSLC)

quote:[HR][/HR]So lets just say for now that I buy a second sub. Can I wire it so its than a 3 ohm load. The sub has a continuous power handling of 500W at 4ohms. What type of amp would I be looking at to power 2 subs at 3 ohms?

[Modified by FlashRedSLC, 8:16 AM 8-9-2002][HR][/HR]​
Anything 2 ohm stable should work fine.

#9 ·
Re: 6 0hm sub??? (4DR Assassin)

dood.. these are your options.. they are DVC aren't they? I am pretty sure they are since I have only worked with the newer models out.. (I currently own them) the setup I am showing is for a MONO load only.. so go find yourself a decent 2ohm stable amp.. with decent amount of power.. and you should be alright..
1 sub: series-parallel will yield 12 ohms
parallel will yield a 3ohm load
2 sub: series-parallel will yield a 6ohm load
parallel will yield a 1.5ohm load
3 sub: series-parallel will yield a 4ohm load
parallel will yield a 1ohm load

#12 ·
Re: 6 0hm sub??? (Johnny Blaze)

Why not just use the Eclipse web site, instead of freeyellow mediling in the site.

http://www.eclipse-web.com/
Wow Six Subs to get a 4 Ohm mono load?

#13 ·
Re: 6 0hm sub??? (Non_Affiliated)

Okay this may sound really too simple, but why not just power your 6 ohm sub with whatever ya got?!
Seriously. Six ohms is not far enough away from 8 to make a diff to an amp that can't do 4 or 2 ohms... and of course, if your amp already is stable at 4 or two ohms, you can drive the 6 ohm speaker with it and not have any problems.
The rule is that you can always drive a higher impedance than your amp is rated for, but if you go too much lower, you risk frying something.
Hmm let me qualify that... the above rule applies only to solid state amps... tube amps are different in this regard, but who runs tubes in their auto?
Just hook it up. It'll work peachy. Honest

#14 ·
Re: 6 0hm sub??? (bgracey)

quote:[HR][/HR]Okay this may sound really too simple, but why not just power your 6 ohm sub with whatever ya got?!
Seriously. Six ohms is not far enough away from 8 to make a diff to an amp that can't do 4 or 2 ohms... and of course, if your amp already is stable at 4 or two ohms, you can drive the 6 ohm speaker with it and not have any problems.
The rule is that you can always drive a higher impedance than your amp is rated for, but if you go too much lower, you risk frying something.
Hmm let me qualify that... the above rule applies only to solid state amps... tube amps are different in this regard, but who runs tubes in their auto?
Just hook it up. It'll work peachy. Honest
[HR][/HR]​
true. you won't get anymore power or anything, and quality won't be that of a 6ohm load, but it will work fine without any risks.

#18 ·
Re: 6 0hm sub??? (illstyle)

quote:[HR][/HR]Okay this may sound really too simple, but why not just power your 6 ohm sub with whatever ya got?!
true. you won't get anymore power or anything, and quality won't be that of a 6ohm load, but it will work fine without any risks.[HR][/HR]​
The impedane rating of the speaker versus that of the amp has not one thing to do with the quality of the sound that will be reproduced by either or both. Why would it?
I don't pretend to know what the impedance of the amps are that everyone is using, but let me assure you that the amp you are using (doesn't matter what it is) does NOT have the same output impedance as the speakers you are connecting to them.
If the amps had the exact impedance of the speakers they drive, literally half of the power the amp is supposedly producing would be lost in the output stage, when really what you want is for the speakers to be getting all that power!
In short, buy good stuff (amps and speakers) and hook them together and enjoy. Life is too short for complications

#19 ·
Re: 6 0hm sub??? (bgracey)

well, you are mostly right, but yes, it can affect the sound quality. Impedience is resistance. If you put more resistance on the amp then it was meant to see, then you will reduce the output of the sub. The power will be lost to resistance. (unless your amp has a regulated power supply like a JL amp...thats a different story). If i put an 8 ohm speaker on a Rockford bd1000, then the sub will be MUCH quieter than the guy who was smart enough to put his 2 ohm speaker on the amp, like it was designed to see. No, the 8 ohm sub probably will not sound like poop (as in blown or static-y), but it will be MUCh quieter. Some amps actaully do not like to see higher resistance than what they are designed to see.
sean

[Modified by veedubb8, 8:41 PM 8-17-2002]

#21 ·
Re: 6 0hm sub??? (Johnny Blaze)

for anyone watching trying to find out whats going on here..
Picture resistance in sub like a water tube.. amp is pump.. Imagine if you had a tube too big for pump and the pump was made so it would run away and blow up.. Thats what your amp will do with too low of a impedance (ohm load) sub. Don't try to run a common amp below 2 ohms.. Now say 2ohms would be like a 1" hose.. and 1ohm would be like 2 " hose the 2 inch hose will make the amp(pump) blow.. Then a 4 ohm sub woud be like a 1/2" hose and a 8ohm sub would be a 1/4" hose.. Now the 1/4" hose aint gonna flow any water volume at all compared to what the 1" hose can do.. They idea for a bass amp is get to maximum power output..
While your 6ohm sub will work fine off bridged amp your not gonna get full benifit out of selected components unless you drop that load.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.