VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I am about to buy a sleeper 1.8t. I want to progreesively mod it and maybe do some track days, AutoX and road rallies.
My question is, as it will primarily be a hobby/ road car I am leaning toward the lux package with moonroof, the interior seems very dark without out, and therefore appears to have less headroom.
Are there any tall people out there around 6 6? Can you manage moonroof and wear a helmet comfortably?

Thanks

Modified by Shelsey Walsh at 1:52 PM 5-12-2003

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Re: 6 6 and headroom for AutoX? (Shelsey Walsh)

I have found that it depends on the seat. I am 6'4" and have spent some time in a few Mk4s with a helmet on. In a car with Konig seats and a sunroof I had no problems with head room. The cars with Recaro seats seem OK, but I recently drove a new Jetta GLI which just has VW regular sport seats and noticed that headroom seemed less (no helmet on this time). In a Golf with no sunroof and regular seats there were no issues either.
Get in the car with a helmet on and find out for sure that you have enough space.
Now I also just drove a MINI Cooper S the other day and there is a whole lot of room in there - should be no problem fitting in with a helmet if the VWs don't work for you.
OH and I just remembered, you can always get the undisputed king of headroom car - New Beetle. You can probably sit on a phonebook or two with the seat jacked all the way up while wearing a helmet in that car

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 6 6 and headroom for AutoX? (chois)

thanks, may well go with the non moonroof golf plus less weight with no glass!
I can drive the moonroof golf no problem but at some time will try some amateur motorsport.

·
Registered
18,206 Posts

a local in my region is either 6'6" or 6'7" - and he drives a 91 civic. you can fit into anything, it's just a matter of how flexible you are...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: 6 6 and headroom for AutoX? (John A)

Well I am a Brit now here in MI, and I used to drive Mini's with a column lowering bracket an seat adjuster that basically put the front seat right back against the rear seat! I was probably more flexible then!

·
Registered
308 Posts

I'm 6'4" and I autoX with the passat
it may have some more room that a GTI but probably not much
with a helmet its real uncomfortable for me to sit there before a run and what not
but when I'm doing a run I dont notice it at all or even realize if I'm hitting my head or not
hope that helps

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Re: 6 6 and headroom for AutoX? (stork370)

I'm 6'3"/4" and I just have enough room in my 98 GTI w/sunroof with a helmet on.
For my next car purchase I am going to take a helmet with me to the dealer and test out the headroom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts