VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the gasser guys are getting 6 speeds from VW in NA, finally.
What about us diesel freaks?

·
Registered
11,620 Posts
Re: 6-speed 90hp TDI? (HIDGolf)

I suppose you could obtain a 6-speed TDI transmission from Europe, and put it in a North American A4-chassis vehicle. It should - *should* - theoretically drop right in. Won't be cheap, though.
Gotta get the TDI 6-speed, though - not the gasoline engine 6-speed. The internal gearing of the gasoline engine 6-speed is all wrong for the diesel.
Brian P.
'96 Passat TDI mit UPsolute

·
Registered
171 Posts
Re: 6-speed 90hp TDI? (GoFaster)

Exactly how much would "not cheap" be? If this could be done for less than, say $1500, then I might be willing to forgo the A/T on my next TDI purchase. I expect one would also need a new clutch and flywheel?

·
Registered
2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
2,112 Posts
Re: 6-speed 90hp TDI? (BRBarian)

quote:[HR][/HR]If this could be done for less than, say $1500, then I might be willing to forgo the A/T on my next TDI purchase[HR][/HR]​
Now wait a minute! Stop the presses! This from you who recently engaged me in an extended debate about how the TDI "didn't need a lot of gears"?

Just razzing you...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Re: 6-speed 90hp TDI? (rsbaker)

Yes, but it really helps having the right gears. On the current 5-speed, 1st gear is too low, and 5th gear is also too low. The clutch is weak,...
The 6-speed setup corrects some of these problems.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Re: 6-speed 90hp TDI? (BRBarian)

I inquired at pgperformance awhile back...150hp TDI 6speed...r u ready......over $7000CAD.....give him a call....he can get them.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Re: 6-speed 90hp TDI? (Vik F)

6-Speed tranny from UK, Rebuilt by VW, $2600, Clutch parts $480. I looked inot it... Time to wait for next year.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: 6-speed 90hp TDI? (rsbaker)

quote:[HR][/HR]If this could be done for less than, say $1500, then I might be willing to forgo the A/T on my next TDI purchase
Now wait a minute! Stop the presses! This from you who recently engaged me in an extended debate about how the TDI "didn't need a lot of gears"?

Just razzing you...
[HR][/HR]​
rsbaker, I am disappointed in you. It took you almost 12 hrs to come up with that response. Anyway, I also sense that brbarian is doing an about face.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Re: 6-speed 90hp TDI? (s_three)

quote:[HR][/HR]Anyway, I also sense that brbarian is doing an about face.
[HR][/HR]​
Nah... I stand by my previous posts. I still won't consider the 5-speed for purchase, unless it can be easily replaced. The A/T is better than the 5-speed in several ways, but the 6-speed changes the balance in this argument. And it's not just beacuse it has more gears! Bring on a good 6-speed, and I'll buy...
How is this inconsistent with anything I've posted in the past??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts