VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
No idea. I can't comment on reliability, but the build quality on these things are outstanding. Far better than my mom's B6 A4.

I worked at a Nissan dealer and we always picked up a couple of these for the used lot. I had to follow a guy into Toronto driving a C350 Avantgarde (he drove a Sentra). They guy was a total dick and I had to drive 160km/h just to keep up. The car felt great at those speeds, but the auto left a lot to be desired. Obviously that wouldn't be a problem with the one you are looking at. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
They're not too hard to find, I use cars.com and do an advanced search and choose "manual".
You can find a 335i sedan with a manual and also the 535 pretty easily as well. Pontiac G8 too, if you don't mind american cars. You might have to travel a ways to pick one up, but you can find one.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not really looking, just curious about the car. I have a 330i right now that only has about 30k miles on it and I'll probably keep it for a few more years. It just seems like the C350 is often over looked. I am guessing that is because the C230 is under powered, and the C230K is noisy and those are probably the only Benz sedans people can relate too.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
And I was underwhelmed?
I think it's the first C class offering of the 3.5 liter in America and is different from
engine that they put into the W220 and the W163 which was really a 3.7.

It was pretty cool but Mercedes sticks are not the most fun to drive.

·
Banned
26,433 Posts
Mercedes typically makes awful manual transmissions and fantastic auto transmissions. Choosing the stick would be like saying, "Y'know, that Natalie Portman is pretty hot, but if she grew some hair on her legs and had a dong, she'd be just right."

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Yeah, it's an odd phenomenon really... A friend of mine had an 06 C230 Sport, and I drove a C230K with a manual... The sport was actually decently fun, the tiptronic function was absolutely terrible, but if you left the trans alone, and let it do the work, it was pretty damn good... The manual on the other hand, it just felt boring.

·
Registered
12,550 Posts
Mercedes typically makes awful manual transmissions and fantastic auto transmissions. Choosing the stick would be like saying, "Y'know, that Natalie Portman is pretty hot, but if she grew some hair on her legs and had a dong, she'd be just right."

Check out Car and Driver's take:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/05q4/mercedes-benz_c350_sport-road_test

Highs: Smooth and powerful V-6, available manual transmission, chassis serves up a perfect ride, stellar interior build quality, overwhelming feeling of solidity.

Lows: Looks like the least-expensive C-class, plasticky and unwelcoming interior, a bit too much understeer, vague shifter.

The Verdict: A pleasing manual-transmission Benz that doesn't look as special as it should.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Is the stick in the C-class the same as the one in the SLK? At the same dealer we actually had a SLK w/stick too. It was o.k. Not better than the auto, but I would stick pick it to satisfy personal preferences.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
New sig right there.:laugh:

·
Registered
748 Posts
My personal opinion is that your better off sticking to the 3 series... I have driven the c350 and it thought the steering had alot lacking. Did not like the feel of it.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, it's an odd phenomenon really... A friend of mine had an 06 C230 Sport, and I drove a C230K with a manual... The sport was actually decently fun, the tiptronic function was absolutely terrible, but if you left the trans alone, and let it do the work, it was pretty damn good... The manual on the other hand, it just felt boring.
I still have yet to drive a manual that I have felt is less fun than its auto counterpart. I also have a 4cyl 5-speed Jeep that has a stick and while its not the slickest shifter it makes the Jeep bearable to drive on the road.

Check out Car and Driver's take:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/05q4/mercedes-benz_c350_sport-road_test

Highs: Smooth and powerful V-6, available manual transmission, chassis serves up a perfect ride, stellar interior build quality, overwhelming feeling of solidity.

Lows: Looks like the least-expensive C-class, plasticky and unwelcoming interior, a bit too much understeer, vague shifter.

The Verdict: A pleasing manual-transmission Benz that doesn't look as special as it should.
I have that magazine, that's what made me post this thread:)

My personal opinion is that your better off sticking to the 3 series... I have driven the c350 and it thought the steering had alot lacking. Did not like the feel of it.
I definitely don't plan on parting with my E46 any time soon

·
Banned
36,395 Posts
Being Jewish it wouldn't take her all that long to get there... :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts