VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Why wouldn't you replace the strut mounts/bearings? They already must be removed to install the struts. That would be silly to cheap out now just to replace them in a year (and have two alignments done instead of one).

Do it right and replace those mounts/bearings, but the dust boots and bumps stops aren't needed for you. Those are more for if you are building a spring/strut assembly and need every part. Looks like you have what you need, and those parts don't even effect the ride at all. Now the strut bearings on the other hand...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are H&R shocks. They are used. Got them off of here. So then just the strut mounts and bearings for the front and rear? Do I need to get upgraded or stronger ones? Also, do I need to apply any kind of grease to anything? Not trying to be cheap just not trying to spend money on things I don't actually need. I appreciate all the advice.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Bearings and mounts are all you have to do.
No special grease, but keep in mind you will need to get an alignment after they're installed, so if any other front suspension parts need replacing ( A arm bushings, ball joints, tie rods) it's cheaper in the long run to do it all at the same time. Otherwise you'll have to get it aligned after each repair.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got around to getting the kit installed over the past two days. I did go ahead and get new mounts and bearings. I have an issue now though. When ever I turn the wheel to the right it sounds like I have a flat tire. Also, when I took the car to get an alignment they could not align it. The tech showed me that he had ran out of threads to adjust the toe. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Installing should have been pretty straightforward.. <Reffering to front springs/struts> Did you use an impact wrench or a strut tool to put the top strut bolt on? Did you fully compress the spring before putting the top spring perch on? There should be equal threads exposed above the nut on both sides. It's also possible that you put the bearing into the mout upside down. Not sure if I can directly addres your issue but those are the most tricky parts of this job. Just throwing out some things to reconsider.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Front end steering can feel weird or off , until it's aligned correctly. It could be as simple as the alignment tech using all the adjustment on one side to try and keep your steering wheel straight.
I'd try another alignment shop first, and tell them you don't care about the steering wheel being off Center.Then remove your steering wheel and straighten it.
Did you put new tie rods in, if so it sounds like they're the wrong ones.
If you have not replaced them then there should be enough adjustment unless your A arm bushing are badly worn. You may want to try a home alignment just to get it in the ball park and be able to trouble shoot the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.